Wall Street Journal Large Format Article

michael_kadillak6

In this morning (March 26, 2003) there is an interesting article on

Large Format entitled "An Old Tech Camera's Enduring Appeal" found on

D8 in the Leisure and Arts section - last page.

It is not ofter we get excellent coverage in national publications

and it is a well written piece of journalism Check it out.

Cheers!

Very good article, indeed. It's about the recent work of Simon Norfolk and Joel Meyerowitz and the use of the view camera in a digital world.

It's available online under "At Leisure" if you're an online subscriber. You can sign up for a 2-week free trial if you don't normally have access to the WSJ.

Thanks for the tip-off, Mike.

I thought it was interesting that the choice of subject matter was not just trees, rocks, or Yosemite.

Nice to see that LF shooters are recording the American 'passing parade', and to know that there are those out there who think that LF can be a fine tool even for photojournalism,(remember what that is?) or recording the current fabric of our society....NOT just landscapes. It gives me hope.

whoops on the pdf! didn't realize it cut off some things. how about this (should have done it in the first place):

<p>

[<em>Sorry, but legal reasons required removal of this article. The WSJ specifically state that items from their subscription website may NOT be reproduced without written permission and I am given to understand they are quite serious about following up on anyone who does so. You can summarize but you can't just reproduce the whole article - Bob Atkins</em>]

Guy, did you obtain permission from The Wall Street Journal to copy its article and post it here? If not, you are just as guilty of intellectual property theft as would be someone who appropriated one of your or Michael's (or anyone else's) images without permission. Just because this technology facilitates such actions doesn't mean they're right. If you did have the copyright holder's permission, please accept my apology for a brash, incorrect assumption.

I gotta agree with Sal, posting this article here is just uncool.

The WSJ site specifically states: "You agree not to post any content from WSJ.com to newsgroups, mail lists or electronic bulletin boards, without our written consent."

And if you do manage to get consent there are specific rules you must follow, which weren't followed in this case.

I recommend that this article should be deleted, in part because it subjects photo.net to unacceptable legal risk.

I concur with the deletion proposal ... improper use of other's intellectual property is simply beyond the pale.. we all fight like hell to protect our images and our hard work. please show respect for other's work.. either obtain a license for the derivative posting here or don't "cut and paste", no matter how kindly intentioned.