Tokina 19-35 f/3.5-4.5. Great price?

joel_alves

I have had this lens for about eight months or so now. Took tones of slides on my trip to Key West last summer. It's very sharp when stopped down to f/5.6 and beyond, which is what you you would use for landscapes. I am selling it though, to help my purchase of the new Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L. If you are interested email me. It comes with seven year Mack international warranty and perfect Lens hood.

I used this lens for about 6 months. The optical quality was fine (for me) when shooting landscapes at f/11-f/16. The thing that annoyed me was that it was very noisy when autofocusing and did not have a "good" feel when manual focusing. Specifically, the manual focusing had a very "loose" feel to it. Overall, the lens performs very well for the price, but it does feel a bit on the cheap/flimsy side. I went ahead and picked up the Canon 20-35 f/3.5-4.5 USM. Is the optical quality better with the Canon? Not in my experience.

To add to what I just posted:

What I probably should have said was that this lens was very good for my uses. And, in my opinion, it performs similarly to Canon's non-L offering. The price, about 1/2 of Canon's equivalent, makes the lens all the more attractive.

Since I was making a foray into wide-angle, the Tokina was a perfect choice to get a feel for the focal lengths that I would use most often. My original plan was to then purchase either a 20mm or 24mm prime, but the 20-35mm USM suits me fine.