printers chop

william_blunt

Hi William,

If you mean the signature block found on wood block prints and other official documents (asian origin), I got mine at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco. There is a monk there who will carve them for you. Mine is a phonetic representation of my name in chinese. I think it translates to 'happy stone, prosporous orchid.'

I have seen kits for these, but you have to carve your own. Otherwise, I suggest you contact the nearest temples in the area and ask them

William,

I got mine in Nanjing, in 1990. I don�t recall the cost, but it was only a few yuan. I�ve heard that they can be easily found in �China Town� in Los Angeles and San Francisco, and I suppose other large cities as well.

It was one of many interesting experiences that I had in China. The carver who undertook to make my stamp knew nothing of English and I knew little of Chinese. We sketched out the various ways that my name could be represented phonetically using kanji and I picked the one that I liked best.

Cheers,

Joe Stephenson

I assume you don't want a Chinese style ink-seal, but are looking for something which makes a impression in the paper, correct? If so, I would suggest going to a high quality paper store (In NYC something like Kate's Paperie) and asking about embossers. Usually they are for books (ex libris...) but anything can be printed on it. They are usually in machines which look a bit like a stapler.

Contact me off list if you want the address of someone who makes the seals in New York.

hi

please find a url: for a store on germany called monochrom. they

have the an emboss unit which i believe you can have made with

what you desire. it is in german so a bit of work may be needed

to uncover the item. also you could contact them and ask about

Tisch-pragestanze or prgezange, on page 58 of their catalog

good luck

May I ask why you want to emboss your prints. I suppose it will add to the aesthetics for some images. As a buyer of fine art I would prefer a less destructive form of identification. Have you thought about getting paper made for you with your own watermark? Just curious.