Auto and TTL on SB series when using D1

david_clark10

Will any SB's work TTL with the D1 other than the 28DX & 80DX. Also

most SB'S apparently work on auto with it, whats the difference

between auto and TTL. Sorry kind of asked a similar question before,

but been using Metzs for ages and want to clear this up before

spending $$$'s!

No, the non DX flashes will not support TTL on the digital bodies. If you had "been using Metzs for ages" then you should be very familiar with auto flashes. Unless you used a Metz TTL module for your camera, that's how they work. It's real old technology, used to be called thyrister flash. <p>

If what all this boils down to is that you are shopping for a flash, save yourself alot of trouble and get a SB-80DX.

I'll let someone else with direct experience answer your first question as to whether DTTL flash works. My understanding is that, in general, it doesn't work as well as TTL flash with a film body. <p>

I don't understand why you are concerned about pre-flashes per your second question.

Ah, that's what I thought. You are confusing the pre-flashes used by these flashes for metering with the red eye reduction flashes used by some point and shoots and maybe some other flashes. The latter are those extremely annoying series of flashes that occur for a second or so before the actual exposure. I don't blame you, I wouldn't put up with it!<p>

The TTL metering pre-flash used by Nikon and Canon flashes occur so close to the actual flash that you cannot discern it. In fact, there is really no way to tell it's there, and this confuses some people who want to use the on-camera flash to trigger a slave.

Yes, but that is usually only a problem to those unaware of how to use multiple flashes or studio strobes. They just assume that they can trigger slaves using the on camera TTL flash. <p>

The proper way is to use a dedicated multi- flash setup that extends TTL control to all flashes or use manual modes, some kind of slave transmitter instead of the on camera flash and a flash meter. The latter is SOP for studio setups with strobes.