Jump to content

Annoying influx of Spam etc


Recommended Posts

I have just had an interesting exchange with a new member 'NAME REMOVED', who appeared not to comprehend the meaning of 'SPAM' - moderators are welcome to view to ensure I did not over step the mark.

 

Tony

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent some time today splatting SPAM - one way I have found of detecting it is to go to the 'Who's Online   xx Members, x Anonymous, xxx Guests' section of the Forums page, and hover over members' details. If a new member has a large number of posts within a few minutes of joining, I investigate, and frequently discover spam, at which point I report it. 

Is there any way that an individual poster can be reported in this way, does anyone know, please ? If this were possible, then hopefully all of their posts could be deleted at once. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tony Parsons said:

Is there any way that an individual poster can be reported in this way, does anyone know, please ? If this were possible, then hopefully all of their posts could be deleted at once. 

Thank you Tony, for your assistance. 

I think Sandy has mentioned this already: reporting one (only one) post as spam, for any one user, triggers an action which alerts a Moderator or Administrator upon which the Moderator or Administrator can delete all the spam posts of that user and ban the user. 

So writing another way - a good member, who suspects a new member of making many spam posts in  few minutes only has to report one of those spam posts.

regards,

WW

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2024 at 12:13 AM, Ken Katz said:

There seems to be a whole lot of spam this morning, with the violator described as a "guest".  I know almost nothing about how to filter spam out of a website such as this, but it seems to me that the moderators need help from the site owners and their programmers in order to mitigate the current attack on PN.  Of course we know that our current owners aren't making any money on PN and could just shut it down if we rock the boat too much.

On some occasions, Members might see some spam ascribed to "Guest". This can happen during the time a Moderator or Administrator is deleting the content after the Spam-maker has been banned.

William   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2024 at 1:47 AM, Tony Parsons said:

I have just had an interesting exchange with a new member 'NAME REMOVED', who appeared not to comprehend the meaning of 'SPAM' - moderators are welcome to view to ensure I did not over step the mark.

 

Tony

That Member has been banned and the content removed. You did not overstep the mark.

WW 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, William Michael said:

Thank you Tony, for your assistance. 

I think Sandy has mentioned this already: reporting one (only one) post as spam, for any one user, triggers an action which alerts a Moderator or Administrator upon which the Moderator or Administrator can delete all the spam posts of that user and ban the user. 

So writing another way - a good member, who suspects a new member of making many spam posts in  few minutes only has to report one of those spam posts.

regards,

WW

 

Thanks, WM - that is how I understood things, and what I have been doing. I perversely enjoy doing it, and don't see it as a chore - occupies me while I have yet another cup of coffee!!! ! 

I suppose it's the hunting instinct !

Edited by Tony Parsons
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to show my appreciation for the posters of today's infestation of SPAM for waiting until my upset stomach had made it safe for me to sit in front of my computer again.

So, here we go - Wham, Bam, Let's Splat SPAM

 

Tony

  • On Point 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2024 at 2:30 PM, William Michael said:

Thank you Tony, for your assistance. 

A good member, who suspects a new member of making many spam posts in  few minutes only has to report one of those spam posts.

regards,

WW

 

Just noticed - I was described as 'Good' !!

To quote Bugs Bunny : ' He don't know me vewwy well !'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SCL said:

Ive been playing "Whack-a-mole" with spammers when I awaken early. But they seem to have an infinite number of logins available for their use each day.

Not only that, their actual posts contain various characters, font changes, case changes and spaces obviously intended to prevent any kind of automatic SPAM removal software from finding them. It's back to good old brain power, intuition and brute intelligence - and we shall win Every Time !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the old PN, I used to have moderator-level spam removal--not sure how I got it, but that was when I was reporting a lot of spam for Asian massage parlors & casinos, and perhaps an Adminstrator "upped" me (like the Mafia!) so I could zap it myself. I no longer have that function with the new PN, but will report it when I see it.

Edited by m42dave
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, m42dave said:

With the old PN, I used to have moderator-level spam removal--not sure how I got it, but that was when I was reporting a lot of spam for Asian massage parlors & casinos, and perhaps an Adminstrator "upped" me (like the Mafia!) so I could zap it myself. I no longer have that function with the new PN, but will report it when I see it.

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...