Annoying influx of Spam etc

Over the past few days, Spam has increased. I am reporting it whenever I see it - may I ask others to do the same ? It appears to be emanating from members who have recently joined, which may be a clue.

Tony

Edited by Tony Parsons

We had a serious tsunami of spam around the shift to the current forum software.

It took a while before things were normalised, but the initiatives taken at the time seemd sufficient to keep things at bay and - to my eyes - reasonably well controlled, at least up until now.

I am not sure if the spammers have found a new "hole" in the defences of the forum software or if some preventive setting have been changed.

It seems that we don't have the ears of the owners, and only rarely do we hear from system admins, so any remedial action is possibly in the hands of our volunteer moderators and the timezone they operate in.

I know they are aware of the problems you describe, and I trust they do their best with the tools they have at hand.

I appreciate their support of our community under the less than ideal circumstances they work under.

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 2
Niels

Hah, as much as I don't like this ad spam, I can't see myself making a living out of combating it. 😄
Let's hope the admins and mods will find a way to block it all sooner rather than later.

Edited by Rick_van_Nooij
  • Like 1

Most of it seems to turn up in the Discussion forums, usually posted by a name I don't recognize, which acts as an indicator of unusual activity.  Rick says it's also in the member galleries, which I do not visit.

I think I’m marked 40-50 posts this morning, most if not all in the Beginners forum - all from new users.

I don’t think it is too hard to define a gentle but effective rule to prevent it, but without a system admin to implement it, the hard work is left to the poor moderators.

Wish there was a “Donate a bottle of wine to the moderators” button - oh wait - no one to implement it 😢

• Like 1
Niels

1 hour ago, Tony Parsons said:

I'm chopping them as I find them - does reporting them actually assist the Mods at all, does anyone know, please ?

I think I recall @Sandy Vongries mentioning it helps.

Some of those I flag seems to disappear shortly after but not all - I don’t know if there’s a moderator at play or if a certain number of spam reports hides/deletes a post??

Niels

12 hours ago, Tony Parsons said:

I must say that reporting SPAM reminds me very much of the game Splat-a-Rat, as played at Garden Parties throughout Britain during the warm summer months. No prizes, but works off aggression beautifully !

Also those X-rated pictures masquerading as art.  WHAT IS UP WITH THAT ? ? 

Edited by hjoseph7
  • Yes! 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hjoseph7 said:

Also those X-rated pictures masquerading as art.  WHAT IS UP WITH THAT ? ? 

Not seen any, and am quite content not to do so. The spam which I am reporting tends to be in the General Photography Discussion area, and is easily distinguished by its total lack of relevance to the forum in which it is posted, and the bizarre conglomeration of characters masquerading as the poster's identity.

Edited by Tony Parsons