Asahi Pentax Electro Spomatic Camera Issues

Hello, 

I recently got a vintage camera but i discovered that the battery was corroded and I couldn't open the battery compartment. I decided that maybe by opening the camera, I would have better access to the battery compartment and, using white vinegar, I could clean it. But it was impossible, as I also discovered that the battery and the shutter controller connector were broken due to corrosion.  

My question is: would I still be able to use the camera without the electronic shutter? If so, what would be the setting. (I read on another chat that using the B setting would do, but I am not sure.)

Or is there's a website were I can find replacement parts of the camera. 

Thank you the help,

You can get the manual here:  https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-electro-spotmatic.html

That website says it has a few manual / mechanical shutter speed settings, for B, 1/60th, 1/125th, and a few more.

It looks like it will require extensive surgery, and as stated above, the camera may be terminal.  If you like the camera, and/or have applicable lenses, I'm sure you could find another model or similar model in working order for not a whole lot of money. 

Edited by Ken Katz

Spotmatics are plentiful on Ebay, with and without lenses. Just do a search every couple of days to find one in good condition at an acceptable price. If you already have a Takumar lens, all the better.

• Like 1

I sold some of these new back in the day.  Good and capable cameras, but not a path I cared to follow.  Unless there is some family / sentimental attachment, or a hoard of lenses, I would suggest either Canon or Nikon of the period which can be acquired affordably, and based on experience were more advanced.

16 hours ago, Michelle_02381 said:

My question is: would I still be able to use the camera without the electronic shutter?

Yes, it should be usable. i had one of these briefly, with a similar problem, which could not be corrected. If I recall correctly, there are five mechanical shutter speeds from 1/60 to 1/1000 which work without batteries. So you can set the exposure manually. There's an old photo.net article about it here: