Sigma 85mm 1.4 ART v Nikon Z 85mm f1.8

mike_halliwell

+1 for the 85 Z.

From my past experience with F mount f1.4s, they needed stopping down to at least f2/f2.8 for usable results.

I had an 85mm 1.4 D for a while and the purple/green fringing was 'troublesome', by all accounts the Sigma is a really good lens and is probably much improved.

The Z 1.8 is essentially good at any aperture (at least until diffraction kicks in).

Also, despite its length it is very light and good for extended use where a 70-200 would be much more cumbersome.

I could also make an argument for the Plena, but I'm still trying to talk myself out of that.... 😇 

Posted (edited)

Interesting reading on the photography life review.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z-85mm-f1-8-s/2

This becomes relevant for the new 'wide-open' focusing option 

One thing to keep in mind is that the lens has a pronounced focus shift issue that can be easily seen when stopping down at all apertures from f/1.8 to f/5.6. To avoid focus shift completely, make sure to stop the lens down to the desired aperture before focusing. That’s what I had to do in order to properly measure the sharpness of the lens.

Quite a difference 2 stops down makes. I'd intend to use this lens wide open.

z85mm.jpg

Edited by mike_halliwell

• 1 month later...

I have a Sigma AF 85mm f1.4, and this is a pixel level crop shot wide open.  Full frame source image also shown for reference.  

image.jpeg.360341cc43a655bda179b79602afccb5.jpeg 85mm f1.4 and it does a pretty good job.  

DSC_1020-S.jpg

On 3/22/2024 at 11:05 AM, mike_halliwell said:

Interesting reading on the photography life review.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z-85mm-f1-8-s/2

This becomes relevant for the new 'wide-open' focusing option 

One thing to keep in mind is that the lens has a pronounced focus shift issue that can be easily seen when stopping down at all apertures from f/1.8 to f/5.6. To avoid focus shift completely, make sure to stop the lens down to the desired aperture before focusing. That’s what I had to do in order to properly measure the sharpness of the lens.

Quite a difference 2 stops down makes. I'd intend to use this lens wide open.

z85mm.jpg

Huh? Z cameras always focus at the shooting aperture when it is not smaller than f/5.6. I don't know how the user could do it any other way. Unless he was just focusing wide open and then changing the aperture without refocusing for the stopped down shots. In normal shooting with autofocus, the camera does the correct thing.

To the original question, they are both good lenses, one of them is a fraction of the size and weight of the other. If one wants to carry just one lens, sure, the 85/1.4 Art - why not, but at least I need / prefer to shoot most situations with multiple focal lengths and so I chose the 1.8 line to accomplish this with ease. (And with a light bag.) They're also gimbal compatible etc. And I've been very happy with this choice. I will eventually get some of the faster lenses but they're not a priority for me right now.

I typically use 20/35/85 as my short prime trio. I would add a 200 mm if they made one.

Edited by ilkka_nissila