Thoughts on the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR coupled with the AF-S TELECONVERTER TC-14E III

rwa757

So my indecision with lenses continues....  I recently traded in (via KEH) my Nikon 200-500mm and my Nikon 70-300mm for the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR with the TC-14EIII.  I immediately determined that I missed the zoom capability.  Additionally, I sensed that the 300 was a little soft, which is contrary to all the reviews.  Also not as snappy as I would have liked.  Maybe it's the copy I purchased (listed as like new).  I'm still in the window of being able to return it and intend to do so.  I'm now looking at the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR (refurbished from Nikon) which I will couple with the TC 14III when I want the extra reach.  My camera (D780) has the option of switching to DX sensor, so If I do the math right, this gets me to ~420 on the long end for BIF.  Not as long as the 200-500, but I'm hoping that based on the reviews of this lens, that the images will be sharp enough. 

For background, I don't do the BIF too often but would like to be able to reach out when I want to.  I considered the 80-400 but feel like that's a little too much to carry around weight wise.  I mostly shoot landscapes and wildlife and birds in trees (not flying) when I can get close enough via a blind or by just being still long enough to let them get close.

Any thoughts on this lens and TC combo?  Also considered the TC-17ii but reviews are iffy.

The 300mm/f4 PF should be quite sharp. I have one but don't use it that often. If you are into birds, get the 500mm/f5.6 PF, whose value has dropped drastically in the used market. The 70-200mm/f2.8 with 1.4x TC won't be long enough.

Also, in the DX crop mode, your D780 only has 10MP or so. That could potentially be an issue unless you only share your images on social media and e-mail.

• Like 2

The 70-200/2.8 FL is an excellent lens, and with the TC-14E III is is very good at f/5.6 or f/8. If your intention is to shoot at the long end and with TC, it's probably better to use a native lens that doesn't require a TC to get there, especially if you need to shoot wide open a TC rig isn't ideal. I think the 70-200 + 1.4X does a good job for landscape photos (well stopped down & on tripod).

The 300 PF is sensitive to shutter vibration and to get optimal results one needs to use either (1) a tripod, (2) fast shutter speed, or (3) either electronic shutter or electronic front curtain shutter (EFCS) if working at intermediate shutter speeds (1/125s or thereabouts). If you have been using not quite fast enough shutter speeds, I am not surprised that you find it soft. The D780 allows EFCS to be used with Quiet continuous (Qc) mode, use that and you should get very sharp results. However, even the 300 PF is a little on the short side for bird photography, unless you have a hide and / or are willing to put in a lot of time. The 500 PF is much better suited to the task.

• Like 1

I have had no issues with my Nikon 300mm f4 pf lens used with and without the 1.4x tc III on a D500, D850 and Z9.  I also have the 500mm f5.6 pf that I use with and without the same 1.4x tc. My shorter zoom is the Nikon 70-200mm f4 that is very sharp and much lighter than the f2.8 version. If you want this lens you have to buy it used as Nikon no longer makes it.  

• Like 1

My three-lens outfit includes the 70-200nn f2.8E FL, and I have the TC1.4III to use with it; primarily with a D850 but my second body is a D780.

The set works flawlessly with both.

I also have the TC1.7x II. With the D850's awesome autofocus system the 70-200+1.7x works great.

• Like 1

"Reach" is a combination of pixels on the target and lens resolution. As Shun pointed out, a DX cropped D780 is only 10 MP; that's nowhere near the 21 MP on target you would get from a D500, D7500, or a DX cropped D850. My suggestion for "reach" would be to upgrade your camera to 21 MP DX (either cropped FX sensor or a DX sensor) and put a Tamron 150-600mm lens on it, and keep the 70-200mm on your D780 (or D850) FX sensor when your subject is too close for 150mm on a DX cropped FX sensor or DX sensor.

Some examples of what I get using these combos:

_DSC5067.jpg

D850 @ 70mm

_DSC5395.jpg

D850 @ 190mm

_TB66069.jpg

D500 @ 460mm

_TB51541.jpg

D500 @ 500mm (cropped)

• Like 1
  • Yes! 1