24-105mm 4.0 vs 24-70mm 2.8 Canon lenses

raffal

12 hours ago, Nick D. said:

24-70/2.8 have better optical quality.

Probably so, but the the 24-105 f:4 L lens is so versatile that I use it for the majority of my photographs with my Canon 5D IV. If I want to use a fast lens, I have a 17-35mm f:2.8 L lens as well as a Sigma Art 24mm f:1.4, plus a 100-400mm L lens for longer telephoto shots.  But I most often carry just the camera with the 24-105 attached.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Glenn McCreery said:

Probably so, but the the 24-105 f:4 L lens is so versatile that I use it for the majority of my photographs with my Canon 5D IV. If I want to use a fast lens, I have a 17-35mm f:2.8 L lens as well as a Sigma Art 24mm f:1.4, plus a 100-400mm L lens for longer telephoto shots.  But I most often carry just the camera with the 24-105 attached.

I had both of them, 24-70/2.8 was heavier but better. 

• Like 1

Assuming the OP refers to the two original versions of each lens: I have both and I agree with the point regarding Image Quality.

Discussing the four lenses:

The 24 to 105 F/4 L IS II, is a tad sharper than the original, but not significantly enough to warrant me upgrading to the MkII version.

Many of the  24 to 105 F/4 L IS lenses reportedly suffer from Zoom Creep, mine does, but that doesn't worry me. 

For me the IS is a significant feature in making my 24 to 105 F/4 L IS 'versatile' as a one carry 'travel/holiday' lens, especially for interior shots where flash is not allowed.

The 24 to 70 F/2.8 L is (I believe) unique in so far as the lens's zoom function moves the barrel through the Lens Hood, this feature results in significantly better flare control than any other zoom lens I have used and such was a substantial enough feature for me not to buy the 24 to 70 F/2.8 L II, even though the latter, is a tad sharper.

WW

• Like 1

I bought the 24-105L more or less on the day it was released. Canon would not admit it but the early version had a few problems wide open at the wide end. But overall it was a very good lens and in fact I still have my original from 2005/6. Canon released a mk2 version what was optically better, so go for that if you can get one. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on what you shoot. For me, having the 70-105mm range and the IS trumps the difference in optical quality. I had both the EF versions and agree that the II is not greatly better than the I, but it did avoid zoom creep. I now use an RF 24-105, and it's one of my two most used lenses.