Z 800mm PF 'Drop in Filter'?

mike_halliwell

I'm kinda surprised that the optical design doesn't seem to mind if there's a filter in place or not. Most long teles from the past needed one.

Something to do with the more telecentric nature of Z lenses maybe?

I'm thinking of putting in a plain filter just to stop an dust/debris falling such a long way into the lens body.

Just curious. Have Nikon stuck with the same 39mm filter they used as a 'drop-in' on the old Reflex Nikkors and large-aperture teles from the F-mount days? 

TBH, I could never detect any difference in IQ with the 39mm UV filter fitted or not, apart from a slight shift in focus, but since all the lenses taking a rear filter focussed past infinity, that was no issue. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

13 minutes ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

Just curious. Have Nikon stuck with the same 39mm filter they used as a 'drop-in' on the old Reflex Nikkors and large-aperture teles from the F-mount days? 

TBH, I could never detect any difference in IQ with the 39mm UV filter fitted or not, apart from a slight shift in focus, but since all the lenses taking a rear filter focussed past infinity, that was no issue. 

No, the 800 takes 46 mm and some other lenses take 52 mm etc. It just depends on the lens.