I have recently noticed several dead (hot or stuck) pixels on my

recent photos, taken at various speeds. I tried to use �Long

Exposure Noise Correction� to hopefully correct this problem, but it

works only at long exposures. Factory advises me to send it for

service. Has this issue of �Stuck� pixels been a problem with other

users of D100? I consider this to be more of annoyance than a

problem since it all can be easily corrected in PS or other programs,

but might be unacceptable to others.

How many stuck/dead pixels are there? Is there gunk on the sensor? I'll just assume that you've checked that though.

There's usually a certain number of accepted dead pixels, and pixels don't die often after production since they're usually manufacturing defects.

However, one of the people I worked with last summer had to send his D100 to Nikon because the sensor actually died.

I can detect about 3 pixels that are all the time �on� white in the same locations (sample enclosed enlarged 3x, not very clear due to compression, shot at 1/200sec-f/14). There are most likely more. Dust on the sensor appears in photos different, it covers a lot larger area than just one pixel. Sample enclosed.<div>004v5o-12300784.jpg.8a7ecb71804b2c6ffaeeb4130f21034b.jpg</div>

How new is your D100? Obviously if it is still under warranty get it back asap. Otherwise take it to a Nikon Dealer (or where you bought it) and plead your case. They are as Carl says usually due to a manufacturing defect and not time (not on a newer camera like this anyway). For this reason Nikon may replace it at a reduced charge maybe even free. Don't phone because they can fob you of more easily. If you can't afford to lose it for a week or more and you can put up with PSing images then you'll have to put up with it. Your CCD needs cleaned anyway for that dust.

Getting dust on the CCD's is a pain and is best avoided by having ideally a lens (or cap) on the camera body all the time, I had to get into this habit as I used to go from job to job with a couple of 35mm bodies in my bag with the mirrors exposed.

You can tell if it is a bad pixel or not. Take off your lens, set your shutter to bulb, and fire an exposure for maybe 10 seconds in broad daylight. I had this problem, and I still had a green spot in the middle. Bad pixel. New camera replacement received from Nikon.

QUOTE:"I had this problem, and I still had a green spot in the middle. Bad pixel. New camera replacement received from Nikon."

or blue or red.. same problem for me. nikon changed my camera without any problem. very good service.

• 1 month later...