Lens Nikon 70-210f4 or 70-210 3.5-5.6 D

zelimir_anic

I own the AF 70-210mm f4 and use it on an N90s. I've never used the other lens you mention. The 70-210/4 is a sharp lens and the zoom ring feels good, but the autofocus is slow and the focus ring is tiny. You can't have everything. I used to have the 2-ring AF 80-200/2.8, and a few months after I sold it I bought the AF 70-210/4, I haven't missed any sharpness or the extra f-stop. I mostly shoot on manual so I don't like variable aperture zooms.

I have the 70-210 4-5.6 D and used to own the straight 4.0 version. Notwithstanding an earlier post to the contrary, I think the 4.0 lens will indeed be slower to focus because its trip from closest focus to infinity is quite a bit longer. I'm not convinced that it's the sharper of the two, but having the extra stop is definitely worthwhile. Aside from that, not much to choose, unless you anticipate using the faster of the two in manual-focus mode, in which case the skinny focus ring will drive you nuts. If you decide on the variable-aperture model, I've read some reviews that suggest you shouldn't buy the non-D version.