Can't Open RAW (NEF) Files

rwa757

Over the years, I have backed up my images to an external hard drive.  While going through some reorganization, I found a file of RAW images, some of which would open, and some would not.  These would have been all from Nikon digitial cameras.  I attempted the Adobe Digital Negative converter with no success.  Any suggestions?

Edited by rwa757
typo

• rwa757 changed the title to Can't Open RAW (NEF) Files

I faintly remember that sometimes NEF:s did not open, sometimes possibly due file corruption, sometimes possibly related to file ownership in Windows system, operating systems come and go, external hard drives often serve longer, possible workaround was to copy files onto computer internal drive and then back to external to solve ownership issues, and then Nikon imaging software would show those difficult images.

Regarding error messages - Photoshop Elements 15 says "Could not complete request - not right kind of document".  NX Studio says "Failed to load images".  I copied the files to my PC hard drive and tried to access from there as well as accessing directly from the external hard drive.  Same error messages.  I remain befuddled.

Hummm, is it a random selection or sequential batches that Failed to Load?

Random would be individual file corruption, sequential is, errr, more complicated...!

It's interesting (?) that Windows was happy to copy them; from what I remember, if it didn't understand the format it refused to copy them over.