Using Canon Camera Connect App As a Touch Screen Remote Release Solution

zakslm

I was considering getting a remote release for my Rebel T7 and started researching my options from Canon and 3rd party suppliers.  I thought that since the Rebel T7 does not have wireless remote release capabilities, a wired plug in remote is the only option.

As it turns out, a wired remote is not the only option.  I remember that the Canon Camera Connect iPhone App has a “Remote live view shooting option”.  I use the Camera Connect App as a PDQ way to upload photos from the card in the camera to my iPhone where I could quickly edit and/or share those photos.  I had not used the Remote live shooting feature and thought I’d give it a try.

Although I’ve only tested the feature and not used it for routine shooting, I found that it is a viable option.  My observations and comments are as follows:

1)      The App works and it works well.

2)      To my surprise and delight, using the App essentially turns my iPhone into a reasonably large touch screen electronic viewfinder/information display with a shutter release. 

3)      When using the App, the iPhone display becomes a touch screen for focusing.  In other words, when I touch the screen anywhere, the white focus box moves to where I touch it.  Then touching the shutter release on the iPhone screen the white focus box moves to wherever I touch.  Touching the shutter release on the iPhone screen causes the camera focuses on whatever is under the box and when after focusing, the box turns green.  A second touch of the shutter release button releases the shutter, taking photo.  I assume the camera selects the closest focus point to where that box is on the screen and that designates the active focus point.  In my brief test, using the App and my iPhone as a touch screen well!

4)     The App does not work while the camera is in Video mode.

So, other than finding out that I don’t need to purchase a remote release for occasional use, I found out that I can use the App as a touch screen display and that touch screen works in a similar manner to rear touch screens of cameras that have built in touch screeens.

This may be inconsequential or old news to some, but I thought I might share it with others who could benefit from my “discovery”. 

Edited by zakslm

The app works somewhat well for me. Sometimes when I use it in the studio, I trigger the camera but the camera doesn't trigger the strobes. Why it does this sometimes is still unexplained. I've restarted the app and the connection and then usually it works again. I've not found a setting that will turn the hot shoe on or off. I have a Mark IV and I think I have a remote somewhere... 

Edited by Trigger_Happy

9 hours ago, Trigger_Happy said:

The app works somewhat well for me. Sometimes when I use it in the studio, I trigger the camera but the camera doesn't trigger the strobes. Why it does this sometimes is still unexplained. I've restarted the app and the connection and then usually it works again. I've not found a setting that will turn the hot shoe on or off. I have a Mark IV and I think I have a remote somewhere... 

Interesting.  I've played some more with it and I think it will suffice for a PDQ solution for a remote release.  A wired remote release is a probably a more reliable solution.  

I used to have an EOS film camera that would work with a wireless remote trigger and used it alot with the camea on a tripod.    

Edited by zakslm