Anyone Receives the 180-600mm Z Lens?

ShunCheung

2 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

So, i guess they may have that big pre-order list across all of America, and err, elsewhere? Canada maybe?

I think a lot of people do business with B&H from countries all over the world. For many items it's the easiest to get (and often among the fastest). New hot-in-demand Nikon lenses - not a good plan at all.

4 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

So, i guess they may have that big pre-order list across all of America, and err, elsewhere? Canada maybe?

For Nikon USA cameras and lenses, I believe that there is a requirement that B&H cannot ship to outside of the US, because Nikon USA's territory is only the US plus perhaps some of the small Caribbean countries. E.g. Nikon USA cannot sell to Canada because that is Nikon Canada's territory.

What is special about B&H is that they have this PayBoo credit card option that they will pay for your sales tax in the US, but the sales tax percentage varies from city to city. A few states such as Oregon, New Hampshire, Delaware ... have no sales tax. My local sales tax is just over 9%, but some neighboring cities are over 10%. However, in southern California, my father's tax rate is 7%. In high-tax areas, buying from B&H can make a significant difference.

Once a German friend ordered a Nikon 24-70/2.8 AF-S from Adorama during a sale and had that shipped to my address. When he came over a few months later, that sale was long over, and I reshipped the lens to his hotel. Of course Nikon USA cannot prevent B&H from selling to non-US customers that way.

2 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

...and when he went back to Germany, he becomes the importer and pays TAX, no?

😉

Not paying tax and customs tariffs upon entry to the EU would be considered illegal smuggling. You can buy tax free in the US (even if you're in NYC) and then you declare the item(s) when coming to the EU and pay taxes and tariffs and you end up paying tax only once. But in practice I think the authorities are interested in larger crimes.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mike_halliwell said:

I guess it's the same with you, but it's the tax-collecting 'fees' of the delivery company that are outrageous if you cannot pay the tax at source. Like TAX £25, FEES £100... 😱

I believe you can do the paperwork yourself if you're willing. I don't remember paying such large additional fees. 

On 12/4/2023 at 9:29 AM, ShunCheung said:

I'll take those B&H waiting list numbers with a grain of salt. As far as I understand, Nikon has shipped 18K+ 180-600 in three months, as the beginning serial number is 20025001 and the latest delivery is 2004302*. If one orders directly from Nikon, the wait is pretty short. Those who have been waiting for B&H are going to jump to other stores, and typically B&H does not disclose the size of their waiting list.

Mine is a couple hundred higher than that serial, great lens so far.

• Like 1