Photo Opportunities in Southern Louisiana

dale_w_olson

Hi All

I will be in New Orleans at the end of the month to attend a business

seminar. Having a few days afterwards available, I would like to

search out areas

that would offer some floral or wildlife photo opportunities to this

newbie. I will have a car so getting around will not be a problem. Are

those swamp tours worthwhile? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dale

Dale, most of the swamp tours will not be worthwhile. They are not geared towards photographers and it will be virtually impossible to use a tripod from the boats. That said, Honey Island Swamp near New Orleans is a really incredible place. Its been at least a 100 years (O.K. maybe not that long) since I've been over there so I'm not even sure what the foot access is like now. It would definitely be worth looking into though. I currently live in Lafayette (2 hours west of New Orleans), if you are willing to make the drive I would be happy to point you to some spectacular spots close to me.

Dale,

The first respondent, Ryan, probably has more information on this since he lives in Lafayette, but my wife & I were in SW LA in March 1998 and were really impressed with Lake Monroe, just east of Lafayette. There was a large & active Great Egret rookery there. A dirt road leading around the lake provided close views of the males collecting branches for nests, as well as many herons typical of the South. The part of the lake closest to the road is also scenic, as the surface is covered with duckweed and the bald cypress will be leafing out.

Fontainebleau State Park across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans is nice -- I camped there and made some fine images of sunrise/set along the lakeshore. I saw a few coots and pelicans, but am really not sure of the full wildlife potential. There's also a short nature trail cutting through nearby forest. (And a restaurant named Billy Farrell's just down the road had the best crabmeat I have ever put in my mouth.)

Just returned from Nawlins with many nice pics (mostly of the French Quarter area). Went on Captain Terry's swamp tour and had a ball. The boat was ideal for tripod use (big flat-bottomed and covered). There were just a few people on board so maybe the situation would be different if it were crowded. Saw lots of alligators and a few birds. Not a great nature shoot because of the obvious limitations on mobility, but very fun and informative. Bring a flash to freeze jumping gators.

If I was going to have a couple of days around New Orleans, and had access to a car, I would head straight for the delta. Down south.

No tourists, no crowds, plenty of scenery, local color, wildlife and some excellent food. Of course if you are the type who likes crowds, I wouldn't recommend it.

Phil Prater

Dale,

Don't overlook the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans. Great opportunities for macro photography in the Butterfly aviary. Birds as well. Honey Island swamp is a good place as well. There is also the Audubon Nature Center within the city limits that has good opportunities. The typical tourist swamp tours are not that great--too many people and you are restricted to the tour agenda.

• 2 weeks later...

Dale, I'm a local N'Awlins person. Here's a few spots for you to check out, assuming you want nature photography:

Jean Lafitte Park. Opportunity: nice boardwalk into palmetto marsh (great texture). Lot's of little (or not so little) critters like giant spider. You may not want to be the absolute first person down the boardwalk in the morning...that is after a night of good work by our local spiders.

Lafrienere Park (my spelling may be off). It's within the city so it has all the joggers, picknicers, soccer games and therefore the evil darth soccermom's....however there is a boardwalk that is seldom used by these types. Opportunity: 1) Coots that seem to love to run across the water (morning light is best where they are). 2)In flight mallard ducks that seem to know not to leave their food source. Therefore when you see them fly, get ready, they're only circling back. 3) Purple Iris's and yellow irises are in bloom now. 4) When on the boardwalk keep an eye out for the young family of nutria. (ask a local if you don't know what they are)... in fact take a few home with you. 5) Great duck on the lake sunset silhouettes. 6)When sunset approaches a family of white ibises usually feeds. Make sure to enter from Veterans Blvd.. Take an immediate left. Follow the road 'till you see the boardwalk on your right.

Audubon Zoo. One of the nation's best, especially the Louisiana exhibit.... If you like zoo photography. Also, there is a great jogging path just across Magazine Street from the zoo. Take your camera for a walk around the 1.8 mile circle. You will find the birds relatively tame, the ponds and trees beautiful, and the joggers cute. Pardon my topic expansion.

City Park. Opportunity: Fabulous monster oak trees..., branches so old, huge and heavy they bend back down and touch the ground. Ever walk up an oak tree? Oh yeah, the oak trees are many times draped in spanich moss...great for textured black and white shots.

Finally, if you go to the northshore of Lake Pontchartrain do check out Fountainbleau State Park. The previously response was corrrect in referencing the sunset opprotunity. More specifically, when you enter the park go all the way to the back. Park your car in the last lot and finish the short walk to the lake. Go along the shore about 50 to 100 feet into the woods to the right. There you will find your forground of beautiful cypress trees and knees for your sunset silouhette. If you get to the park early you may enjoy the myriad of fallen trees (pine beetle killed 'em) and the associated opportunities. About a half hour from there in the town of Pontchatoula you will find one of the best nature galleries of Louisiana Swamps. Ask anyone in town to point you to Julia Sims photo gallery. If you are a nature photo enthusiast, you will enjoy it.

Do me a favor. Email me bak and let me know what else you find. Good Luck.