1930s agfa speedex O, have removed lens & shutter intact but cannot re-assemble back into body

This is a 1930s Agfa vertical style VPK folding bed camera using 127 film, has a Solinar 3.9 lens with Compur shutter, this is the known as the export version of the Agfa 'Billy' O.

Having removed lenses for cleaning ok , I now cannot see how to re-assemble all of it back into the body, problem being how to actually retain it using the slotted ring, which surrounds the rear element. Is there anybody who knows the trick, and it's not the same as other Agfas like the isolette, they're horizontal not vertical folders like this one.

If I cannot get this 'together' in the true sense of word I am truly shafted !

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

DSC_8140.JPG

DSC_8141.JPG

• Like 1

Usually the bellows is attached to the lens standard with rivets making it easier to refit the lens. The way to refit the lens on this Agfa is to half close the front door with the lens inside and by using a pointer, start revolving the locking nut being careful not to damage the bellows. It helps if there's a thin film of grease on the thread.

Another way is to glue the front of the bellows to the lens standard making sure no glue gets on the locking ring. With the bellows glued in place, attach the lens and if you can't reach the locking nut with a lens spanner (those double prong things), again close the front door to a point where you are able to use a pointer to start turning the lens nut and get it to catch the thread. The lens must be held in place while doing this, otherwise you may never get the thread started. Final tightening of the lens nut is best done with a lens spanner.

8 hours ago, smiffy_smiffy said:

ok thanks, and I must add that there are three 'similar' thin shims that sit around the lens, more visible in our first image, resting on the rear of the shutter ~ should these all just be replaced as illustrated ?

Yes they must be put back. They are factory shims for fine tuning the focal length (75mm) before the camera leaves factory. Without them, the camera's front focus scale will be slightly out from the specified focal length of the camera, resulting in blurred parts of images where you don't want them to be blurred.

Here's the specs of the camera if you want them ...

http://www.artdecocameras.com/cameras/agfa/speedex0/

Edited by kmac

thanks kmac, suspected that would be the case on the shims, I had seen that specs page, again many thanks.

The main problem is I still can't see just how the lens and shutter should be correctly retained, unless you're saying just glue it ?

And crucially Are the shims correctly placed in first photo ?

It seems as if you succesfully turned the locking nut when disassembling. So when assembling you have to turn it just the other direction. I agree that this is simetimes difficult as the last fold of the bellows sometimes covers the locking nut partially. 

First, place the shims on the "stud" of the shutter assembly. Then hold it against the lens standard and make sure it peeks out on the back a few mm. If you cannot reach the slots of the locking nut, unfold the bellows halfway. Sometimes it is not easy to place the locking nut on the shutter thread, it is a "fine thread". In case you manage to rotate the locking nut freely (i.e. without interference with the last bellows fold), place it evenly on the end of the shutter thread and rotate it clockwise, it will "catch" the thread by itself. Holding the bellows half opened during this procedure sometimes requires three hands, maybe you find someone to help you holding the camera. 

As mentioned by others, the shims are necessary for adjusting the focus. With front focussing lenses, it might be possible to adjust the focus (there are DIY methods) WITHOUT the shims but then the front lens will not in the optimum distance to the other lenses, i.e. picture quality will suffer a bit. (Am not sure whether this will be visible though.)