W/NW 2023 Pic-O'-The-Week #23

I'm seeking advice and counsel: a question of probity/propriety. A very good friend of mine died last week, one of the only friends I had, after a sudden and dramatic illness. I miss him.  There is a memorial service next monday.  I would like to take photographs, and would of course, seek permission from his surviving spouse - but she is distraught. We take photos at weddings, births, everyday life, but not death. Does anyone know of a protocol for this?

I miss him.

In the meantime, a foray into antiquity: bessa R, HP5 (rated at ASA 650 with 30% more development time in Ilfosol 3). Regards, Arthur

bessa r034.jpg

• Like 2

I am sorry to hear this Arthur.

That’s a tough one to approach and very personal. In your shoes I’d go with your first thought on how his wife would accept it or not based on how well you know her/knew them.

She might well not be able to imagine you being there without a camera in-hand.

5 hours ago, Greg M said:

I am sorry to hear this Arthur.

That’s a tough one to approach and very personal. In your shoes I’d go with your first thought on how his wife would accept it or not based on how well you know her/knew them.

She might well not be able to imagine you being there without a camera in-hand.

Yes, a bit awkward. I think I'll defer on the right side of propriety.  I'm pretty sure his spouse would not object, as much as I'm pretty sure others would. He was a member of our church - we used to go out for coffees on Friday mornings (then he'd go to the local Rheema FM radio station to do his session), lunches every now and then.  We often had conversations on our divergent views around theology - sometimes quite 'animated' - he was profoundly 'orthodox'. I've posted his photo before on this site. I miss him, and this is part of the grieving process, just sorting memories; it was so quick, profoundly quick, and catastrophic. Thank you Greg M for your advice. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1).