Fuji at a Wedding

Ken Katz

At a wedding I attended this weekend in Manhattan, the wedding photographers used Fuji mirrorless cameras.  One photographer used only primes and no flash during the ceremony, while the second shooter used a mid range zoom and a flash.  I was close enough to see that the person with the primes used both the viewfinder and the back screen to shoot.  Both shooters relied more on flash during the reception, and as the natural light continued to fade.  I am sure the photos of the bridal party in Central Park, taken before the wedding, will be lovely.

I have been to only a few wedding in recent years, but this was the first one that the professional shooters did not use FF, and the first I have seen to use mirrorless.  I am sure their vertebrae appreciated carrying less weight.

• Like 1

The professional photographer at my son's wedding did an excellent job using a Canon 5D mkIV and a bunch of "L" lenses.  But that was almost 2 years ago, and if she wanted to get better sensor and AF tracking performance, she would need to move to the RF system.  Don't see any reason why a modern crop sensor camera couldn't handle a wedding without any significant compromises

Once again, this shows that the skill and knowledge of the photographer are much more important than the gear used.  Nothing against Fuji, which makes good cameras and lenses, but too often people assume that all pro photographers use the same equipment and that not using that somehow makes it impossible to get good results. If I were shooting weddings now I would probably go for something like the Fuji system since the quality seems good and they are relatively small and light, something that becomes important over the course of a long day shooting events like this.

• Like 1