Gitzo 1228 vs. 1227 - Small ballhead to go with.

samuel_stone

Hello, I would appreciate opinions on the Gitzo 1228 vs. the 1227. I

realize that they are nearly identical EXCEPT, the 1228 has 4 leg

sections, closes to a smaller size and is 2 inches shorter. The 1227

has only 3 leg sections. They both weigh about 3lbs. I realize that

tripods and ballheads have been discussed frequently within this

forum, but I would like anyone who has experience with either or both

of these (and only these) to give me their preference.

My second question concerns a RELIABLE light ballhead to use with the

Gitzo. I am well aware that Arca-Swiss B1 is the Holy Grail of all

ballheads, and I may very well own one someday, but the heaviest

combination I will be using on it will be a Canon 300lf4 IS lens with

either/or a Canon 1.4x or 2x converter. I am considering one of the

Giotto ballheads. The medium size in particular. Giotto rates it to

hold 15 - 20lbs, yet Kirk claims it can only support 2lbs. I'm just

wondering if Kirk isn't just trying to sway people to buy their

ballhead, although they sell the Giotto. If anyone has had

experience with this head I would certainly appreciate any input.

I don't forsee being able to afford the A 600f4 or even a 500 any

time soon, so I'm not sure I really need to buy a heavy duty ballhead

like the Arca-Swiss or the Kirk.

Thanks for all help,

Sam

Between my wife and me we have several Gitzo tripods, including a G1227 and a G1228. We bought the G1228 when it was the only carbon fiber tripod available, but as soon as the G1227 became available, my wife wanted a G1227 because it has one fewer section and therefore three fewer Gitzo-type twist joints to deal with. The G1227 also doesn't have the very thin G1228 bottom section which introduces instability. Of course the fact that the G1227 being a bit cheaper is another plus. IMO the main advantage for the G1228 is that it closes shorter.

My wife mainly shoots video, but for photography, I use the Arca Swiss B1 on those Gitzo tripods. IMO for most applications that is the best ballhead money can buy, but you and just about everybody else knows it already. The B1 is expensive, but also keep in mind that buying less expensive equipment to "save money" and then having to switch to what you really want will end up costing more. If you think you'll eventually need a B1, you are better off starting with a B1.

Hello,

I had similar needs (light, reliable and affordable tripod & head) and opted for a Linhof "Univeral Ballhead 1" on a Gitzo G120. The head is less than half the weight (10 oz) and price of the Arca-swiss B1, and it is much more compact. The ball itself has a reasonable diameter (1.5", much bigger than Bogen 3262QR for example) and is very well machined, therefore it holds more weight and moves very smoothly in comparison with other ballheads of the same weight/size. The tripod is also light and sturdy enough for my needs. The combo (tripod + head + quick-release plate) weights only 4lb, which makes a big difference while hiking. I use it with a Nikon AF-S 80-200/2.8 + TC + F100 (6-7 lbs), so it should happily hold your 300/4.

If you ever buy the 600/4, you will have to buy a much stronger combo, but if you can afford the lens, you won't feel the price of the new support.

I hope this helps.

I've tried both at the shop several times and feel that the screws on the legs of the 1227 is much easier to handle, not to mention that it also has fewer leg sections. But what puts me off is that the length of the collapsed 1227 is much longer to carry around.

I'm a new Gitzo/Bogen dealer and just got my first shipment of the new MK2 variety of the 1228. The issue of the twist lock being so small has been negated as the new ones are nearly twice as wide. The grooved center column with hook is a nice addition allowing you to hang your bag off the tripod for additional stability. As an aside, I also got in the Bogen 3443 which is identical in length to the 1228, a little less stable, but comes with a strap for under $400 - and if you can't stand the Gitzo leg locks no matter how wide, the Bogen leg clamps might be a better choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume the problem of the small leg locks concerns just the 1228 model, as I've found that the 1227 I have to be fine, and it isn't the MK2 version. I'm curious, Rolf, if you've compared the 3-leg section Gitzo and Bogen models, eg the G1227 and the Bogen 3-leg section carbon fiber tripod for stability? I would certainly prefer the bogen style clamps, but I wouldn't want a heavier tripod that was less stable.

<p>

I am personally not that enthused with the G1228. It sacrifices stability compared to the G1227 on account of 4 leg sections, and if I'm going to do that, I don't see the reason of buying a premium-priced carbon fiber tripod. So, I purchased a Velbon Carmagne 640 as a lighter duty tripod. It doesn't need an optional short center column, and this comes out to about $275 less than a G1228 + short center column. It weighs about 6 oz less than a G1228 and although it is less stable than my G1227, a G1228 would be as well.

<p>

I currently use the Bogen Compact Gear Head on my G1227 and the Giotto medium ball head (MH-1000) on my Velbon 640. I would say that the Giotto MH-1000 can hold more than 2 lbs adequately. I've used it with a 35mm SLR and 70-210/3.5 and Mamiya C220F TLR with 180/4.5. You probably want to unscrew the platform and get a screw in stud for $8

from Really Right Stuff and use it to mount a quick-release adapter or clamp directly to the stem of the ball head.

<p>

I recently acquired a Bogen 308 ProBall ball head, and I am still trying to decide whether I like it more or like it less than the Giotto.

<p>

for the most part, I prefer gear and pan heads to ball heads.

• 1 month later...
I chose a Linhof Profi II ballhead for my 1227. This head is very well made. It's more expensive than the comparably sized Giotto heads, but I deemed it worth the money. One nice touch is that the top plate simply screws off, making it possibly to directly mate a Kirk or RRS clamp to the ball stem. (For what it's worth, Bryan and Kathy at RRS recommend this head for use on the baby Gitzos.) I've used this combination with up to a Hassy MF rig with good results, though I really wouldn't mount truly big/long glass on it.