Where do you see yourself in 5 years ?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years ? Is an often asked question during interviews, but where do you see yourself whether professional, or hobbyist photographer in 5 years. I mean we all start out taking snapshots around the home and when we get a little more serious, we might take pictures such as the old homeless guy on the corner. After a while we migrate to other things be it weddings, macro, sports, portraits, forensic, street etc. Most of us tend to specialize in 1 or 2 categories/genres. It's just not possible to cover all aspects of photography in one life time. Time, or money are the major obstacles. Do you see yourself gradually toning it down, selling your gear and calling it a day. Or maybe you see yourselg migrating to something other than your specialization ? If you are just starting out, you might think about opening a studio on Main-street in 5 years. If you have been at it for a while, you might think about discreetly exploring your creativity. Sooner or later you come to the realization that there is so much you can do in so little time ...     

I celebrate the part of growing older where one does not need to sit in front of anyone 🤡 who asks this question of someone under 40.  Then we can call it age discrimination and file a complaint.... 😎

My honest reply is this: I plan to be alive.

Otherwise, I am finding that venturing into new territory--subjects and styles that are not my regular interest are leading to future directions and projects.  And then there is learning more about my avocation, and sharing that with others, and in my images.

I am embracing the concept of "Swedish Death Cleaning."  So much stuff from so many hobbies and interests.  At some point one has to be realistic about what they are or are not going to do.  Then it's time to find new homes for these hoarder-like treasure troves!

Edited by PapaTango
  • Like 2
  • On Point 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

• 2 weeks later...

I have no big plans, photography-wise, just doing the same things I do now. Bring my camera, take things I like to take. I hope life will get more exciting, in a good way, and I keep my health. Keep the fascists out of my life and my countries.

Robin Smith

• 3 weeks later...

Not letting my mind stagnate , and being receptive of new thoughts and ideas and trying them out (if I can , and provided that I am still alive) 😄.

See and experience proper Inter-Galactic Space Flight or Travel, but I guess that I do not have enough time for this 😁.