I wish I never sold my…..

I’ll start.  Leica M6 (couldn’t afford the good lenses for it). Professionally overhauled Rolliecord VA, Nikon F2, a new looking Nikon FM2, Olympus Om4t.

Modern film cameras… Mamiya 7II and 65mm lens.. Contax G2 with a 45 and 28. The Leica the Contax and the Mamiya 7 are worth 2-3 times what I paid for them.  That’s it for now.. You?

• Like 1

My Leica M4 with a 35/2.8 Summicron I bought new in the 1960s, and my Yashica 45/2.0 rangefinder which was as sharp as my Leica lenses...I recently got another in pristine cosmetic condition, but for some reason it doesn't hold tension on the film so I can't get it to wind...grrrrrrr. 

• Like 1

My first F2. I’d pay good money if I could find that camera. I learned so much, accomplished so much with it. Most of what I know or think I know about photography I learned with that F2. If I were stuck on a deserted island, an F2, a 28mm and 20 rolls of Tri X are the photo gear I’d want with me.

Rick H.

• Like 1

Carl Zeiss Olympia Sonnar. I did a post on it here in 2015. Some years later I was contacted by a gentleman in Slovenia (IIRC) who had seen the post and wanted to know if I still had the lens. Well, to cut a long story short, I accepted his offer of 1000 Euros for it. To be honest I'm not really sorry, it was only gathering dust. And I've now got a later post war 180mm f/2.8.

LINK --------

Sonnar.jpg

Edited by John Seaman
  • Like 1

In the late 90's I dropped my first SLR on concrete (a Nikon FE) and damaged it beyond repair.

I thought it was a sign for me to switch to autofocus and therefore sold my 35mm 2.8 AIS and 105mm 2.5 AIS - the two lenses I had made all my photographs during the previous 20 years.

AF turned out not to be for me and the two lenses were (and still is ) direly missed. 

Trying to replace them was never completely successful - all lenses are not made the same - and my philosophy from then on has been: Never sell a lens you like, in order to buy a lens you think you will like more.

The result is, of course, that I have accumulated quite a few lenses over the years, but I enjoy them all, even if I only use them a few times a year.

• Like 1
Niels

In 2002 I lost my job and needed money to live on. Sold my Linhof Technika 4x5 V outfit for about $2k and some other things on Ebay back when it was reasonable. Recently I have bought a Technika 4x5 Master and a Technika 6x9 Master as well..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Niels - NHSN said:

Never sell a lens you like, in order to buy a lens you think you will like more.

Absolutely agree with that. I have sold and rebought the same lens, simply because I did not follow this advice. Often I end up paying more to get the same mojo back.

On the other hand, I am lucky enough to get most of the now crazy priced items before the craze. However, I don't really miss my Yashica T4 Super that much. 

... Omega B66-XL enlarger.  A very sturdy heavy beamed entry level enlarger, bought new in 1979 and had great enjoyment with it in my set-up/take-down darkroom for a few years, but alas life happens and it went.  At this stage in my life though, if I still owned it, I would be printing B&W paper again (except with a permanent darkroom though).

• 2 weeks later...

Sell? People sell their camera equipment? Only thing I've sold is a Leica Summar with a crack right across the center of one element, and with the rear locking ring kaput. Only because I got a near-perfect one.

But there are things I need to sell. 

I sold my Nikon FE2 to pay the bills after I lost my job, back in the early 90's. A move I always regreted, but had no choice. It wouldn't be until the year 2005 that I finally replaced it. Unfortunately, because of the digital revolution, it now has the glorious title of a Shelf Queen... I Usually do not sell anything except if it's absolutely neccessary. I spend an enormous amount of time researching an item before I purchase it, so once it's in my hand its a done deal....  

On 5/2/2023 at 3:28 AM, rick_drawbridge said:

A Carl Zeiss Jena Werramatic outfit, complete with camera, the three lenses and original leather case. I received such a good offer from a Werra enthusiastic that I would have been crazy to turn it down, but I still miss that beautiful little camera.

Didn't you do a post on this... There are rounded edge versions and the earlier version with a bit more sharped edged. I too want the rounded edge, meanwhile I have three Werra All green examples. Two are the simple version the other is the Werra III with a funky rangefinder and I do have the Flektogon. (nice combi) I occcasionally look for the ? ? telephoto, but it is often either priced too high or priced low, but has separation or inner mold. It also should or would have to be the green variety to match the camera.. Of course I've seen some later outfits with the rounded edge rangefinder version...but then I would have 4 Werra camera... I need to sell some stuff... but I am just not built for that!!

• 3 weeks later...

Leica M6TTL plus lenses. Wanted to go digital. I'd probably have a digital Leica today if I hadn't sold all my Leica lenses. Canon 135mm f2L sold it, then bought another. Still have it. On the other hand, I was delighted to see the back of my Hasselblad kit.

Robin Smith

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 3:38 PM, Robin Smith said:

Leica M6TTL plus lenses. Wanted to go digital. I'd probably have a digital Leica today if I hadn't sold all my Leica lenses. Canon 135mm f2L sold it, then bought another. Still have it. On the other hand, I was delighted to see the back of my Hasselblad kit.

Why was the 'Blad not your favourite kit we wonder ...

• 3 weeks later...

Yashica-Mat original model in EX Plus condition. Leica IIIc beater with 50mm, f2 Summar (Uncoated). The latter had a shutter repair by the late, much missed, Wayne Setser of the former The Camera Works in Knoxville, TN! 

Edited by Kent T

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2023 at 6:54 AM, stephen_lumsden said:

I sold a Rolleiflex automat in favour of keeping a T. The T then was a lot of hassle in repairs and I sold it to cut my losses. Back to a yashica D now.

I will also divest myself of some TLRs.... and keep the T I have,  and the Yashica D. Up on the website shortly will be the Yashica-Mat, and a Yashica C.Another TLR I have the Photavit Photina Reflex the only reasonm I will keep it is that I spent so much time and energy fixing the camera after using naphta to ease the focus, but ruined the shutter. It now works great! While I don't need it... nor really want it.. so much of ME is invested there!