OpticalLimits just paywalled their new content

OpticalLimits (formally known as Photozone) just paywalled their new content.  It's only $1 per month, and I certainly understand the rational of financial survival if ad revenue does not cover operation costs.  Not sure how I feel about this and don't know if I care enough to pay, unless they are reviewing a lens I am truly interested in purchasing.

With respect to equipment I have used, I generally have agreed with the accuracy of their technical assessment.

Edited by Ken Katz

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 1:09 PM, Ken Katz said:

OpticalLimits (formally known as Photozone) just paywalled their new content.  It's only $1 per month, and I certainly understand the rational of financial survival if ad revenue does not cover operation costs.  Not sure how I feel about this and don't know if I care enough to pay, unless they are reviewing a lens I am truly interested in purchasing.

With respect to equipment I have used, I generally have agreed with the accuracy of their technical assessment.

I wonder if lenstip will follow suit? Honestly, there's lots of reviewers on youtube, like Dustin Abbot who do a good job reviewing lenses. No need to pay.

• 2 months later...

Read this, as they are "right on the money" (pun intended):

https://www.opticallimits.com/The Zone

All things publishing on the innernutz are experiencing a rise in costs.  How quickly I discovered that...

Add to that their advertising is limited, and what they do is mostly limited to generating income if you buy something using one of their advertising affiliate links.  I can tell you with certainty that this revenue will not even pay their annual server costs. 🤔

SpewTubers are paid through promotional deals, and revenue rated on subscribers and views.  Oh, and Patreon too.  

If people are not willing to support the small, dedicated community sites, they will fade away faster.  They have gradually been doing so, as taste has shifted to videos and social media pablum instruction.

Soon there will be no need even for those, as ChatGPT will answer your question in a paragraph or so of questionable content.

Edited by PapaTango
Evil dwarves threatened to steal my mithril...
  • Like 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!