Delkin Black 325G CFx B Card $200 @ B&H

ShunCheung

B&H had a similar deal during the holiday season about three months ago. Back then it was the 325G card plus a CFx B/SD dual card reader for $250. This time it is the card alone:

Delkin Devices 325GB BLACK CFexpress Type B Memory (bhphotovideo.com)

This older thread has the previous deal, long expired: https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/536791-nikon-usa-black-friday-deals-2022/#comment-5757141

DelkinBlack325G_20230328.jpg.4210224cabdb61a1dacb6973e8511e2f.jpg

1 hour ago, mike_halliwell said:

If that's not selling at or below cost, how come the best we can manage in UK is £433 or approx. $532 ?

I guess it's the same in Europe.

That's very nearly x3 as much.

Someone's making a LOT of money here.

☹️

Well, you can purchase those cards from B&H and pay the VAT, customs fees and shipping and still save money compared to buying locally. I generally favour local retailers but as far as memory cards go, B&H is usually my stop. 🙂 Actually the last time I bought some cards from a store in Germany which had competitive prices, but that might not help you much given that you're in the UK. I suspect B&H would be a lot faster than getting it to the UK from the EU.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

4 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

I see the same. A pity! I was starting to calculate what kind of capacities I would need in the future.

The Delkin Black 325 is 655€ here. A prograde digital cobalt 325 GB card can be had from B&H for $359.99 (+ VAT + customs + shipping). I calculated a total of $477.67 = 441€. It's still 33% cheaper to buy the Prograde from B&H and shipped to my home rather than buy the equivalent Delkin locally. Prograde doesn't seem to be available in local stores in my area.

33 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

Ouch!

At that price you could almost get a cheap ticket to the States and still buy it cheaper!

Yeah. I noticed that the most demanding video mode on the Z9 produces 722 MB/s of data ... I don't think I have any card that can sustain that kind of write speeds indefinitely and consistently. I noticed that on Nikon's own supposted memory card list only their own 660 MB card, the prograde digital Cobalt 1700R series and WISE CFX-B-PRO series are supported. The Nikon 660 GB costs 859€ here and the Wise 640 GB is 866€. The Prograde Digital Cobalt doesn't seem to have resellers in the EU market.

Anyway from this I gather that I don't need to touch 8K RAW video. 😉

4 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

The Prograde Digital Cobalt doesn't seem to have resellers in the EU market.

Interesting. Maybe a UK but not in EU issue?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProGrade-Digital-CFexpress-Memory-COBALT/dp/B08631RJB4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=HQ2ZCR9CSBYN&keywords=ProGrade+Digital+cobalt&qid=1680078647&s=computers&sprefix=prograde+digital+cobalt%2Ccomputers%2C82&sr=1-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

7 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

Anyway from this I gather that I don't need to touch 8K RAW video. 😉

Same here! 🤣

1 hour ago, mike_halliwell said:

It seems to be available on Amazon.de  (524€ for the 325 GB cobalt, so by ordering from B&H I would save 83€ on a single card). Not many stores carry Prograde Digital here.

That was a one-day special at B&H and is now over. See the screen capture in my opening post? It specified that the deal would end in 14 hours with a count-down clock. I saw it down to 1 hour before it ended at midnight, US Eastern time. But I know at least one person on this forum took advantage of it.

Somehow the 325G Delkin Black keeps on getting this type of discount, but not the other capacities. I have the feeling that this deal will return some day. I think the profit margin for these cards must be very high.

A couple of weeks ago I captured 8K video at a student concert. I noticed that only my 512G Delkin Black, which is actually 650G, has sufficient capacity to hold video for that entire evening. I tried an in-camera copy to a 325G card to have a second set of files, but it couldn’t copy the last video file as it ran out of space. I’ll look into getting a 1T card or two some day, when the price drops.

44 minutes ago, ShunCheung said:

See the screen capture in my opening post?

14:04:16

So not 14 days, 4 hours and 16 mins then?

😢

51 minutes ago, ShunCheung said:

I think the profit margin for these cards must be very high.

Yup, even at the deal price of $199.99 they're making a profit.

I wonder how much they actually cost to make?

I guess the people who shoot a lot of 8K video need even higher-capacity cards (such as 1 TB or higher) so the 325 GB one is discounted? Too large and expensive for most still shooters and too small for regular use with the highest-quality video formats. If the offer had lasted longer, I might have ordered one or two.

I shoot 8K video but not in RAW video. My computers at home are fairly out of date and need upgrades. 325G is somewhat limited and I'll probably need two cards for one evening of video capture, and I tend to use multiple cameras. I have one 512G Delkin Black and I mainly save that for video. I'll get more when there are new discounts or gave AngelBird a try some day. There are enough negative comments on AngelBird to balance out the positive so that I have avoided AngelBird so far.

Most likely B&H will discount the Delkin Black again. I'll certainly help everybody spend their hard-earn money next time. 😆

On 3/29/2023 at 10:06 AM, ShunCheung said:

Most likely B&H will discount the Delkin Black again.

Just happened - the older deal of the 325GB card with the card reader for $249.99 is back: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1728758-REG/delkin_devices_dcfxb325r56_325gb_cfexpress_type_b.html

I doubt the deal will last 50 days though - when loading the page, it shows 1 day briefly.

Screenshot2023-03-31at14-16-48DelkinDevices325GBBLACKCFexpressTypeBMemoryCardwithCFexpressTypeBUHS-IISDMemoryCardReader.jpg.448d9f1fc2c2e91539f4c034cd7ac30b.jpg

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1

It looks like B&H is adjusting the end time for the new deal. A few minutes ago, it said ending in 33 hours, i.e. at midnight between Saturday (April 1) and Sunday, US Eastern. The thing is that B&H observes the sabbath so that you cannot order from B&H between sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday, including on-line web orders. Therefore, if you miss it in the next few hours, you need to get on their web site and order late on Saturday, US Eastern time.

It turns out that there is more to the current Delkin CFx B deal at B&H. You can get the 325G Black with a card reader for $250, which is the same deal as we had in December 2022, 3+ month ago. You can get the 256G Black alone for $230, and that is obviously not as good as the $200 325G deal a few days ago; somehow you pay a bit more for less capacity. Finally, the 2TB Delkin Power is available for $470. You get a lot of capacity there, but Delkin Power (green) has no specified minimum sustained write speed.

Again, all three deals will be over as of the end of Saturday, April 1, 2023 US Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). EDT is UTC -4. However, due to Shabbat, B&H's web site wouldn't take any orders until 8:45pm EDT. Therefore, essentially you now have a 3-hour window to place this order before it ends. If you are in Europe, you need to get up in the middle of the night to place this order.

DelkinBlack325G_20230401.jpg.42a8eb53d5c70a47502974f71233b74f.jpg