DPR is closing...when is photo.net going to close?

lovcom

• 1 month later...

Moderator Note:

Whilst one opinion might be that the Opening Post is obnoxious or silly, and also considering that Casual Photo Conversations allows a reasonable latitude of response, it would bode for the life of this conversation if respondents would address the topic and content of the topic and refrain from School-boy name calling and offering bait via mud slinging.

Thanks

William 

""seems like the usual old timers are still talking about photography. I am a fan"

He is right there is only a handful of people these days that keep the Forum going. I joined the Forum way back in 2000 when nobody on my job would talk to me about photography subjects. I didnt start posting pictures until I got my first digital camera in 2005 though. I got to admit PN is not as popular as it used to be, something happened when they changed the format of the website, although I think it was on a downward spiral prior to that. This version of the website is much better than the prior one which was a little too complicated and lacking in 'social dynamics' in my opinion.

However, Photo.net is not just about the Forum. Some people use it as a cheap way to advertise their products. Some people even sell their products here. I have purchased a few photogrpahs from here some which I gave out as gifts, some which I have hanging on my wall. I have even purchased equipment from the Classifieds. This version of the website also offers learning  and job opportunities, at a higher level than the previous websites.  Currently I'm enrolled in one of the courses for a measly fee of $15 a month, and that allows me to access a bunch of other courses. This is cheaper than Scott Kelby's {KelbyOne Community] and the rushed Lynda.com online courses. 

As usual PN can answer some questions that you can't find anywhere else, it would be a blow to have it close down. It's unfortunate that not many people participate in the discussions(Forums) as in the past. Maybe they are too busy ? Maybe there is a more interesting photo website(s) which I have not heard of ? Maybe they feel dejected ? Maybe they rather lurk around incognito, with nothing to offer and nothing to say. Maybe they think the world is going to end if someone finds out they like apples instead of oranges. Who knows ?   One thing for sure, I'm not going anywhere unless PN decides to fold one day.    

Edited by hjoseph7
  • Like 2

My flippant response probably needed some clarification. I have been a member since ?2004. The only reason I am not still a paying member is that the site did not remind me 5 or more years ago that I should pay up. I would pay... is that still an option? The expertise here is exceptional. I had a question about an image last week that was immediately answered (thanks dog). Now, the equipment (dynamic range, focus, etc) has gotten so good that maybe less expertise is needed. How is photo.net advertised? How do new people find photo.net? I don't know. I find it hard to believe that the need has gone away. How do you make it profitable enough? I don't know. I am willing to pay to support the site. Is that good enough? I don't know. 

As far as people attacking a flippant comment, I don't care. Interesting that when I looked him up, he is an old timer like I was talking about.......

"My flippant response probably needed some clarification. I have been a member since ?2004. The only reason I am not still a paying member is that the site did not remind me 5 or more years ago that I should pay up."

They don't advertise as far as I know, I stumbled upon this site when I Googled something and it came up. They don't send you emails, or notifications that you have to pay up either, they just limit your resources such as how many pictures you can store in a day etc. I'm not sure what you get for being a paid member ? I went years without paying myself... 

@hjoseph7 don't worry too much about it.  WM is doing his best to keep society civil here, and Alan is just, well, Alan...

Before I exited as TGOPS, I made sure that everyone had the same privileges and permissions.  There has not been an active paid subscription system in place for a couple of years now, so that is not a deal.

P.S.  Daily upload limits are not enforced by software, but rather by convention and rules.

Edited by PapaTango
  • On Point 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

"There has not been an active paid subscription system in place for a couple of years now, so that is not a deal."   Aren't we talking about the (financial) viability of the web site? I don't mind paying a reasonable fee to support it. If you turn it into a not-for-profit I can write it off on my taxes....

5 hours ago, PapaTango said:

@hjoseph7 don't worry too much about it.  WM is doing his best to keep society civil here, and Alan is just, well, Alan...

Before I exited as TGOPS, I made sure that everyone had the same privileges and permissions.  There has not been an active paid subscription system in place for a couple of years now, so that is not a deal.

P.S.  Daily upload limits are not enforced by software, but rather by convention and rules.

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a shot.

Funny that the OP talking about “all time low” has been here since 2001- and has a total of 4 posts showing in his profile? 
jus sayin

For my part, I ❤️ forums but admit my participation is waning lately. This site is awesome tho, I really like the community here. It would be a real shame if it closed down. 

one motorcycle forum I hang out on has adverts sprinkled across every page, I believe subscribers don’t have to see them.