film or camera or development problem? never seen something like that.

hello,

first of all, happy to be back here, because my account stoppend working and did not work for years. i guess maybe it started to work with the website update? i see it looks updated.

so, anyway, my friend shot a roll of bw filw with my Pentax 67, then she developed the film, and two of the frames have these strange holes with black areas surrounding them.

have you ever seen something like that? what can cause it, what is that?

i only shot 2 rolls with this camera yet, and i did not notice any problem so far.

58M7bb8YTCW83WCuslXRwg.jpg

Too well defined for a pinhole, and the dark areas are puzzling, why not on all frames? My guess is chemical contamination or air bubbles during development.  Your friends darkroom technique may be the problem. 

• Like 1

+1 to Dustin's diagnosis. The overall variation of density would indicate a developing fault. 

The streaking running the length of the film also suggests an unconventional, and poor method of agitation. I'm guessing hand dipping the film in a dish or shallow tank and rocking it back and forth? 

You need to question your friend as to exactly how she developed the film, because I think the answer to the puzzle lies there. 

21 hours ago, norayr said:

two of the frames have these strange holes with black areas surrounding them.

They can't be holes. Holes would print black. They're opaque spots on the negative, with a strange low-density streaking around them. Why the low density stops at the sky below the archway is also mysterious. 

It could possibly be a scanning fault, but nothing I've ever seen before. 

P. S. the lower density and higher contrast at the film edges is typical of under-fixing, but that doesn't explain the spots and their halos. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Excellent! 1

Afterthought. They could be flecks of undissolved fixer powder. That would explain the lower density surrounding halo and streaks. 

Try re-fixing and washing the film. Making sure the fixer is fully dissolved of course! 🥴

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Like 1

thank you for replies, everybody.

she said, the developer she used this time was Adox XT-3, and she diluted it wrongly.

she said, she changed the developer now, and no more problems.

so the developer version is probably the right one.

A word of advice for your friend: Chopping and changing developers, trying different fixers, etc., is possibly the worst thing you can do. 

Choose something well-tried and tested - like ID-11/D-76 and Ilfofix - and stick with them. There's very little difference in end result between any mainstream developer, and fixer is just fixer. With no practical advantage to so-called alkali fixers and the like. 

It's also a bit pointless trying to be ecologically responsible - you're using film! It wastes plastic, silver, animal gelatine and other resources, and adds to chemical pollution. No getting away from it I'm afraid.

So replacing Hydroquinone with Sodium Ascorbate and avoiding using a tiny amount of Borax in a developer is like turning off the air-con in a 5 litre gas-guzzling car to get better mileage, and thinking you're doing the world a favour. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

On 3/25/2023 at 3:24 AM, norayr said:

hello,

first of all, happy to be back here, because my account stoppend working and did not work for years. i guess maybe it started to work with the website update? i see it looks updated.

so, anyway, my friend shot a roll of bw filw with my Pentax 67, then she developed the film, and two of the frames have these strange holes with black areas surrounding them.

have you ever seen something like that? what can cause it, what is that?

i only shot 2 rolls with this camera yet, and i did not notice any problem so far.

58M7bb8YTCW83WCuslXRwg.jpg

On 3/28/2023 at 4:38 PM, rodeo_joe1 said:

A word of advice for your friend: Chopping and changing developers, trying different fixers, etc., is possibly the worst thing you can do. 

Choose something well-tried and tested - like ID-11/D-76 and Ilfofix - and stick with them. There's very little difference in end result between any mainstream developer, and fixer is just fixer. With no practical advantage to so-called alkali fixers and the like. 

It's also a bit pointless trying to be ecologically responsible - you're using film! It wastes plastic, silver, animal gelatine and other resources, and adds to chemical pollution. No getting away from it I'm afraid.

So replacing Hydroquinone with Sodium Ascorbate and avoiding using a tiny amount of Borax in a developer is like turning off the air-con in a 5 litre gas-guzzling car to get better mileage, and thinking you're doing the world a favour. 

And you think Digiital is cleaner for the environment? Cell phones , digital cameras and Computers have lead and cadmium and other hazardous materials in them. They are not bio degradable and are filling up landfills. The technology is developed at break neck speeds so what is coming out now is already obsolete and then discarded for the new. Computers, and other E waste are listed as hazardous waste where I live and cannot be thrown out with the regular trash.

Edited by eddy_d

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 11:16 AM, eddy_d said:

And you think Digiital is cleaner for the environment? Cell phones , digital cameras and Computers have lead and cadmium and other hazardous materials in them. They are not bio degradable and are filling up landfills. The technology is developed at break neck speeds so what is coming out now is already obsolete and then discarded for the new. Computers, and other E waste are listed as hazardous waste where I live and cannot be thrown out with the regular trash.

The world is screwed. I say this as an environmentalist who donates lots of money to conservation and has a kid who I hope won't live in a garbage world. 

Most people went digital for convenience, not because they care about ecology or anyone except themselves. Film is bad for the environment. Probably so is digital-and all electronics.-agree regarding the probably very bad impact of the rush for rare earth metals. 

The only thing not bad for the environment is to kill oneself and one's kids right now, and compost the remains 🙄