Nikon D4 or Nikon D750 ?.

za33photo

On 3/17/2023 at 12:20 PM, za33photo said:

I will also investigate other camera brands in digital full frame format.

There's the Sony A7 series of cameras to consider. Their 1st and 2nd generation cameras (A7, A7R, A7S; A7II, A7RII, A7SII) use very small batteries; carrying two is the bare minimum and I ended up carrying four per body. The 1st generation does not have IBIS (which was introduced with the 2nd generation). The A7S and A7SII are more geared towards video than still photography. I owned the A7, A7II and the A7RII and am currently using the much improved A7RIII.

14 hours ago, za33photo said:

I enjoy using Film and will not stop

That's what I thought when I purchased my first DSLR (NIkon D70) in 2004. Even purchased a Nikon F5 the following year. Big mistake on my part - by 2006 I was shooting only digital and sold the F5 (and most of my other accumulated film SLRs). For nostalgic reasons, I kept the F3HP and the F100, both of which have become shelf queens.

14 hours ago, za33photo said:

I would like to use my existing lenses that I have for my Nikon FM2n

Using existing manual focus lenses had been my reason to get into mirrorless. Turned out to be another mistake as quite a few of my older lenses didn't play nice with digital sensors.

• Like 1

I have a D700, bought about six years ago, which I really like.

But lately, I more use the D200.  It is good enough for what I want to do.

Maybe a day trip to a nearby state park, or other not so fancy

tourist attractions.  If rain seems likely, I am more likely to choose

the D200 instead of the D700. 

There are plenty of used DSLRs, Nikon and Canon, for a wide price range.

The choice depends a lot on what you want to do with it, and with the images.

• Like 1

-- glen

Do not know about your budget and where you live, but around here prices for used D4 and D750 are not to far away from a used price for a D780 atm, which would be (in my personal view) more advantageous, since it's relatively new and a step up from de D750 ....

Edited by CvhKaar
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 6:09 PM, ShunCheung said:

Compared to film SLRs, DSLRs have more electronics behind the sensor and then typically have an LCD on the back to display the images and settings. Some LCDs can also swivel. Hence DSLRs tend to be thicker than film SLRs. However, if the objective is to have a thinner body, just get rid of the mirror, which takes up a lot of thickness.

You can remove the mirror but then it's not the digital version of an FM. 

On 3/17/2023 at 6:09 PM, ShunCheung said:

Compared to film SLRs, DSLRs have more electronics behind the sensor and then typically have an LCD on the back to display the images and settings. Some LCDs can also swivel. Hence DSLRs tend to be thicker than film SLRs. However, if the objective is to have a thinner body, just get rid of the mirror, which takes up a lot of thickness.

You can remove the mirror but then it's not the digital version of an FM. 

• 4 weeks later...

One more vote for the Nikon Df. I use it more than my D850 and I've simply never been able to equate the optical quality and pleasure of the finished result from the D850 to the Df. The Df takes far better looking pictures, no matter what I do in CaptureOne 1 or whatever anyone else can do with both NEF files. This is a file 1/10th the size of the original. ISO250, 1/160s, f/1.4. Lens is a Zeiss Milvus 50 mm 1.4. Handheld and of course manual focus. The only time I use the D850 now is on the 300mm f/2.8 VRII basically.

2023-04-09 15.28.16 4122 NIKON Df_web.jpg