New SVEMA film negatives - Ukraine

Just purchased some rolls of 25/50/100 and 400 ASA from the guys at Astrum Ukraine. Apparently, the old Svema brand is back in business. A short presentation of the films can be found here, if I may: https://juliantanase.com/svema-astrum-the-new-old-film-from-ukraine/

Not sure what exactly stock they use, and I very much doubt they are really producing this film from scratch. Nonetheless, bought some, and the price is exceedingly good (film costs attached here, as sent to me by the seller).

Managed to process a roll, 400 ASA, came out unexpectedly good (a sample picture attached). A brief review can be found here: 

https://juliantanase.com/svema-photo-400-asa/

No connection with this company, just a customer of theirs. Thought to share this with the community, hope it helps. 

Best, 

20230303173331_01.jpg

Astrum Svema film and prices.jpg

My Minox journey continues...

www.juliantanase.com

Nice with economic alternatives.

The pricing seems low, but I assume it is before VAT which would add an additional 20% or more before you have it in hand in the EU.

That is still a little lower than FOMA - which I guess would be the standard to compare against. Any opinions on that?

Niels

21 hours ago, Niels - NHSN said:

Nice with economic alternatives.

The pricing seems low, but I assume it is before VAT which would add an additional 20% or more before you have it in hand in the EU.

That is still a little lower than FOMA - which I guess would be the standard to compare against. Any opinions on that?

Niels, no VAT was charged at their end, and none paid here. I am not going into that, just happy the films were cheap. I had expected some sort of custom charge or VAT charge upon arrival, but none was required from me. As I am living in the EU as well, I am accustomed to the purchases to which I have to pay VAT, but this seems not be the case here. 

Indeed, the price is lower than FOMAPAN 100, 200 or 400. As these go for less than 5 euro here, they are the cheap alternative to more expensive stock I am used to (such as Ilford, Kodak, etc), so I am stocking up mainly 100 and 200. How much do they go for in your area?

This is a film which I shoot on a regular basis, although 400 still proves to be a pain in most instances. Regarding 100 and 200, after a difficult start, I managed to tame it (I just shoot it at half the box value and develop accordingly). Some examples can be seen here, if you wish.

My Minox journey continues...

www.juliantanase.com

On 3/5/2023 at 10:07 AM, glen_h said:

Can someone remind me?

I think outside EU we don't pay EU VAT, but I can't say that I have bought a lot

of things mailed from EU.

Ukraine is outside EU  - Local taxes are applied upon import - depending the country you import to.

I live in an EU country and will have to pay my local VAT (25%) when I buy from Ukraine. Unless customs overlooks the package - which never happens.

Edited by Niels - NHSN
Niels

Yes, I got two questions confused.

If we mail order from EU, say to the US, I think we don't pay EU VAT.

It used to be that mail order between US states avoided US state sales tax,

but mostly not anymore.  Mail order from outside the US, still mostly avoid

US state tax.

-- glen

1 hour ago, glen_h said:

Yes, I got two questions confused.

If we mail order from EU, say to the US, I think we don't pay EU VAT.

Correct. An exporting company should not charge their country’s local taxes. That is up to receiving county.
(Although intra EU transactions is another matter but unrelated to your question)

Niels