erich_pinter1

For macro work I am considering to use a 550EX as master unit and a

420EX as slave unit on an EOS1V. For this I have the following

questions:

1. Is there a minimum distance between both flash lights necessary to

trigger the 420EX?

2. Can I vary the power output between both flashes? In the 550EX

manual there is only described how to control the power output

between two slaves (A+B) but not between master and only one slave.

3. Does anybody have already some experiences using this combination

for macro work? Hints and advices are very wellcome.

Thank you very much for any reply.

Erich

I have both units and have used them in master/slave mode for normal subjects without incident. However, for macro work, after numerous problems with the master/slave mode I have resorted to using them wired with a sync cable splitter. As near as I can tell, the issue has to do with the ability of each unit to sense the control pulses of the other. In macro mode the strobes are often close to the subject and equipment gets in the way.

Hope this helps.

1. I'm not sure but I've used them within a foot of one another without problems.

2. Yes. You can set lighting ratios (2:1, 4:1, etc.)

I've used the 550EX, 420EX and ST-E2 numerous times for macro. Line of sight isn't necessary to trigger as long as you have reflective surfaces (walls, ceilings, etc.). I normally point 1 or 2 Speedlites at white reflectors and the ST-E2 triggers them every time even with the sensor pointing the opposite way. I also handhold a Speedlite to the left and slightly behind and above the ST-E2 and it triggers every time.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

In my macro work my light sources are often inches from the subject and supports, braces, props, or even the subject preclude line of site. As for reflective surfaces, I typically shield my subjects with flags to prevent stray light.

I've found wiring them to be an easy solution in the studio. Adorama make a hotshoe adapter with cable that works fine in manual mode on the 550EX and 420EX on my sync cord splitter. Since I use a D60, I have little use for ETTL in macro work as I can review each shot a few seconds later for lighting.

I'm not trying to disuade you from trying. I'm simply sharing my experience so you'll be aware that their may be issues to overcome or limitations on where you can place the flashes.

Hope this helps.

i often use an st-e2 as master and 550ex and 420ex as slaves on a dual flash bracket for macro work. this combo is very reliable. i did not like using the 550ex as a master for macro work with a flash bracket because communication between master and slave seemed harder to maintain with that setup for me than with the st-e2, 550, 420 set up. sorry, i never tried varying flash output ratios with the 550ex-master 420ex-slave combo.