repairman he just sneered at it and as good as called a a total

buffoon for buying such a piece of junk. He then proceeded to tell me

that he had never seen a Kowa that wasn't broken. I pointed out that

he was a camera repairman and that by definition ALL the cameras he

saw were broken. Aside from this guy's dismal demeanor, does he have

a point? I'm an artist who uses photographs in my work from time to

time, but I'm not a pro who would give the camera hard use. The Kowa

seemed to be a very cost-effective way to get into medium format

photography. Any thoughts? Did I make a mistake?

The Kowa line had a relatively brief life span, and were affectionately known as "The poor man's Hasselbald." While they would work "OK" if handled carefully, they were not hardily built, and were known for frequent break downs and jamming. They certainly looked impressive enough, but it really ended there. Sorry to say, but I think you made a mistake based on unwarranted assumptions.

What a load of rubbish! There are plenty of us who still use and rely on Kowa models. My super 66 has never given me any trouble at all save for the predictable light trap replacement which should really be considered a consumable anyway. I believe that the man who is best for Kowa repairs in the States is Ross Yerkes. I'm afraid being in the UK myself I couldn't tell you precisely where he is, but I have seen him mentioned frequently in Robert Monaghan's site and the like. The Kowa lenses are superb and well worth the expense of the repair.

I have a Super 66 that I bought with the infamous winding gear broke. I took it to Ross Yerkes, the famous Kowa repair guy, and it hasn't been a problem since. Ross has an ad in the Shutterbug or can be found with on the internet with a people search in Los Angeles area. He does not have a website. He is "The MAN" when it comes to Kowa's and he'll stand behind his work.

I now have 3 lenses, a 45 prism, Super 66 body, 2 backs and assorted Kowa odds and ends, almost all of it bought off Ebay knowing it needs to be repaired. Including repair costs I might have $1,000 invested. Try to buy any other leaf shutter SLR 6x6 camera for that price. The lenses can easily compete with my friend's Bronica SQ lenses at easily half the cost. I wouldn't want to use it daily for pro work, but for a hobby camera, it's perfect. Don't regret your purchase.

Rob

I didn't mean to imply that ALL Kowas broke down ALL the time, and I'm sure some owners have gotten good service from them. I gave 3 Hasselblads a virtual pounding (but NOT abuse) for over 20 years with NEVER a serious repair. The same applied to several Nikons. Just because a camera LOOKS pristine, it doesn't necessarily mean it's in good repair.

Never trust a repairman who treats you with anything less than the respect that a paying customer deserves. Kowa's are a professional level camera, and are capable of high quality. Send it to Ross Yerkes (or to Frank at Camera Wiz) for an estimate of the repair and a CLA.

And trust more to the advice from the people on this list who have actually used Kowas than to those that have just heard rumors. This camera should more than meet your needs.

I don't think anyone here could tell you if you made a mistake or not if they don't know what you payed for the camera. If you paid $500 for it, you probably made a mistake. If you paid $150, then have to put another $150-200 to fix it, you'd have come out pretty good.

Good luck.

I'll have to second the opinion on Ross. I bought a super 66 body that was broke, sent it to Ross and haven't had a lick of trouble since. I shoot 3 or 4 rolls a month through it, been over two years since Ross had it.

Seek out a 40mm, great lens, email me if you see a 19mm.

Mike

My appraisal of the Kowa was NOT based on rumor! I was running a pro lab, studio, and retail when that camera came out and when it died. I was in constant touch with pros, large camera stores, and repair people constantly in L.A., CA, a hub of photography. People often came to me for advice on all matters photo, and always told it like it was. I've never owned a Yugo, and don't have to to know it was junque! Shooting 3 or 4 rolls a month is one thing, but there are guys who shoot 200 to 400 rolls a month, and they don't use Kowas, at least for long.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful responses to my question. I paid $230 for the Kowa and it will cost me another $150 for repairs. Maybe not the best deal in the world, but certainly not something I'm going to lose any sleep over either. What surprised me was some of the passionate snobbery connected with camera brands. My repairman's condescention is akin to taking my Ford Focus into my mechanic and having him criticize me for not buying a Mercedes. I can neither afford or need a Mercedes, so what's wrong with the Focus (Kowa)? I guess I view cameras pretty pragmatically, if they do the job I need them to do, good enough. From what I've heard and the research I've done the characterization of a Kowa as a "poor man's Hasselblad" seems a little unfair. The bodies clearly had some issues of poor design, but from all that I can find out the lenses were absolutely top notch.

Greg, if you would like to read the original reviews of the Kowa Six, your library might have copies of the Nov. (pages 132-133) and Dec. (pages 144-145) 1968 Modern Photography issues. There was also a somewhat more technical review in another magazine (sorry, didn't note which one) on pages 96-97 at about the same time. My first Kowa Six jammed immediately, too, but it is just a dry lube thing on the release lever and once it was cleaned and lubed, no more problems. It was followed by a Six MM and finally a Super 66 which is a beautiful camera and great travel companion. I have 4 lenses, 4 backs, a 45-degree prism (seldom used), extension tubes, and other assorted accessories. I have a very soft spot for this camera and it gets used as much as the Hassie. One thing you always want to check on a Kowa lens is the operation using the built-in timer. Watching the aperture and shutter closing during this process will reveal if the lens needs a clean and lube. Enjoy!

I've used Kowa equipment extensively with very few problems. The 66 was my primary system for many years. The optics are fantastic - especially the 85, 110 macro, 150 and 250mm. The only reliability issue I had was shutter speed adjustments every 12-18 months. I used the system in extremely cold weather with no problems and thought of it as a [heavy] workhorse.

<br><br>

I have Kowa reviews, literature and manuals on my site at: <a href="http://duncanrossphoto.com/Biography/Photographic_resources/photographic_resources.html">

My Kowa Portal</a><br><br>

<br>

<br>Duncan Ross<br>

<a href="http://duncanrossphoto.com">http://DuncanRossPhoto.com/</a>

Any camera can break.

I had a Hassie that constantly jammed and the focus ring fell off the 80mm lens, and my Canon EOS A2e never worked right (film wouldn't load consistently, flip-flash jammed, and the command dial had to be repaired).

These are all simply machines and machines break. When they break, there is always someone who can fix them. Just look around.

Keep the Kowa and send it to either Frank at Camera Wiz or Ross Yerkes.

The main thing in repairs (working for a dealer) is what the camera is worth in the market place verse what it is worth the customer. I have no experience with the Kowa, but since most repairs run from about $100 to $3oo on many SLR's it is a matter what of if you think it is worth repairing. Keep in mind most repairs are warrantied for 30 to 180 days from repair. And some cameras are just proned to break down. For that reason I caution customers when they have a P&S that they love, but it is 10 years old.....

Greg, I just got me first rolls of film back from the Kowa 6MM I bought for $300

and I'm delighted. the store CLA'd the lens and the body is is nice shape. I

also bought a 200mm lens for $325 that looks mint and is as sharp as

anything I ever had on my 'blad. I think for the money this gear is great. You

have to remember these cameras are 20+ years old. You'd be hard pressed

to find a Hasselblad that old that doesn't need A good CLA. It is generally

recommended to use the wind knob as a knob, not extend the crank which

puts extra roque on the wind gears. I think you will be happy

Chip

There are lots of repair people who are f.o.s., and really don't have a clue about fixing mechanical cameras. I think with most of the newer stuff repairs consist mainly of diagnosing and replacing electonic components, a different set of skills than doing mechanical repairs. Find someone else.