10d lossless?

mikemilton

I have recently upgraded to a 10D (Yipiee) but have a couple of questions that do not seem to be addressed anywhere... mostly related to jpg images

Rotation - if you use the canon SW, is the rotation of tagged images on download lossless?

Embedded jpgs in raw images. At first glance, I was excited to see the ability to embed a full sized jpg, but... is the extraction process using the supplied sw lossless? If not, perhaps I should be excited that I can save space by embedding the smallest possible thumbnail??

Actually... any jpg (re)COMPRESSION is lossy.

It IS possible to rotate a jpg WITHOUT recompression and it should be surely possible to extract the jpg data from a larger file and save it without recompression.

The point is that neither of these functions inherently require recompression or any additional loss. The canon sw, however, appears to elect to recompress - which, if true, is poor design and problematic to the user

First, I have noticed that the processing of RAW images is far faster with the new EZ browers stuff than was the case with my S40 I bought six months age.

I am not sure what purpose the embedded JPEG will serve; I do not find it onerous to convert RAWs to high res JPEGs on my computer. I therefore chose the "small JPEG" option on the camera.

I don't have my 10D yet, but I've read that the orientation is noted in the image file as a data flag (EXIF?). If you mean that the bundled Canon software doesn't honor that flag and auto-rotate, that's pathetic. Actually, if the bundled software can't losslessly rotate images then it's probably good that the orientation isn't honored. Let's just say that software hasn't been Canon's strongpoint. (In my fantasy world they would have an open API even for the in-camera software.)

I have read that Photoshop 7 honors this flag. I imagine other popular third party offerings do/will, too.