SoLux MR16 lamp replacement

The Sylvania 5000K 40929 MR16 LED lamp can be plugged into the same flight fixtures used for SoLux MR16 bulbs. Its TruWave technology reduces the nasty blue peaks present in most other LED lamps. I installed them in my digital darkroom, recalibrated my monitor and I get as good a match between my images on the monitor and prints as with the now obsolete SoLux lamps. You get a vastly improved life time and lower power consumption as well.
https://www.ledvanceus.com/products/led-lamps/MR16/Pages/MR16-Family.aspx
https://assets2.ledvanceus.com/media/bin/asset-10373421/asset-10373421?_gl=1*1k9v328*_ga*MTc4MTM1NzMzNS4xNjc2NjczOTU5*_ga_5T7XMS5074*MTY3NjY4MTE0MC4yLjEuMTY3NjY4MTE2MC4wLjAuMA..

And you have and tested colorimetrically to back this up: yes or no???
“replacement” only by virtue of fitting and they are not close to identical to Solux bulb which are not obsolete. 

Edited by digitaldog

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Someone needs to study SPDs (specifically Solux bulbs) before embracing one from a manufacturer, not one they didn't and cannot independently measure and provide to readers. Fortunatel, someone here can:

D4B55E5A-A13C-4F33-8ADB-422201BB8BB8.jpeg

CFB82B95-E4BC-4901-A723-D1DAB5AA0608.jpeg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

8 hours ago, frans_waterlander said:

The Sylvania 5000K 40929 MR16 LED lamp can be plugged into the same flight fixtures used for SoLux MR16 bulbs. Its TruWave technology reduces the nasty blue peaks present in most other LED lamps. I installed them in my digital darkroom, recalibrated my monitor and I get as good a match between my images on the monitor and prints as with the now obsolete SoLux lamps. 

It is good to see you cleaned up your claims above from what you wrote on LuLa after someone asked for specifics of the claims:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=141868.msg1250339#msg1250339

"Sylvania MR16 TruWave LED 40929 lamps are a direct replacement* for 4700K or 5000K SoLux bulbs. Fits directly into existing 12V MR16 fixtures. The TruWave Technology suppresses** the nasty blue peak present in most other LED lamps."

*indeed, they do fit. Like all MR16 bulbs.....

**"Suppresss" and eliminate the spike (peak); as seen here: big difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Sylvania True Wave "Daylight" (that failed) LED vs (non true wave) InterTech LED vs Solux 4700K. The best part of the Sylvania was it cost me a mere $7.99 plus tax. And yes, it fits my MR16 task lamp. As does the InterTech LED. Otherwise, nothing to write home about. Nothing like the Solux in terms of SPD or ISO 3664 goals. Not really that impressive compared to the InterTech for all the hype about Blue Wave technology. Do note the fail and pass for ISO 3664 on all three bulbs; note Solux failed the Brightness Goal of 2000 lux (it's much brighter than the others). Solux rates it as CCT 4700K, measured at just shy of CCT 4600 (so yeah, that metric is as some here know, some argue, all over the map). The task lamp was in the same position for all measurements without a diffuser, approx 3 feet from blub to Spectroradiometer.  Popped the Solux back into the task lamp after these tests. Does anyone want to buy a used Sylvania True Wave "Daylight" cheap? 🤪

SylvaniaTruWaveLED.png

SPD-ISO_Solux4700.png

InterTechLED.png

Sylvania LED TruWave.png

The best Solux replacement for those who want the same qualities is yet another Solux bulb. 

https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp18004.html
Plenty (94 in stock as of yesterday) is still available at a screaming price of $7.43. Less money than the suboptimal Sylvania (at least in terms of the spectrum). 
In Europe: 

Andrew, appreciate the test reports. Why would the SoLux test reports say the brightness failed with a goal of 2000 lux and measured values of 2742 lux? Also, could you show in this thread the test report of the Northlux 95 CRI BR30 lamp for comparison purposes, edited to show the real SPD curve?

8 hours ago, frans_waterlander said:

Andrew, appreciate the test reports. Why would the SoLux test reports say the brightness failed with a goal of 2000 lux and measured values 2742 lux

4569EA67-D64C-400F-9FAD-D7718ACD9966.jpeg

Edited by digitaldog

5 minutes ago, frans_waterlander said:

Got it. How about the Northlux 95 CRI BR30 lamp for comparison purposes, edited to show the real SPD curve?

What about it? No comparisons are necessary, OT; as it isn't a Solux "Replacement". That's the topic you started here. 

The real SPD was provided elsewhere for a blub that isn't an MR16 nor the same CTT and has nothing to do with Solux of which are still available.

Edited by digitaldog

In another thread about enlarger bulbs, I was wondering about LED replacements.

Searching Amazon, I found some similar lamps, which might have been MR16, though I was

also trying to match the base.  Some were different base, but that might be fixable.

Does anyone use these for enlarger lamps?   I think they are less bright than 100W halogen lamps.

-- glen

2 hours ago, digitaldog said:

What about it? No comparisons are necessary, OT; as it isn't a Solux "Replacement". That's the topic you started here. 

The real SPD was provided elsewhere for a blub that isn't an MR16 nor the same CTT and has nothing to do with Solux of which are still available.

Since SoLux bulbs are no longer made, I'm trying to find the best replacements. I prefer 12V MR16's since I have a 12-volt MR16 track lighting setup, but light output quality comes first with me. If the best alternative is an A19, A21, BR30, etc., halogen, LED or whatever other type, then that's what I'll get.

Since the Sylvania 12V MR16 LED lamp that I had hoped would be a good alternative did so poor in your tests, I'm very interested in the NorthLux BR30 LED lamp that you tested and raved about: "These bulbs, thus so far provide the best report I've seen for any LED I've measured!". I would appreciate it very much if you could correct the SPD part of your report on that lamp and post it here.

9 minutes ago, frans_waterlander said:

Since SoLux bulbs are no longer made, I'm trying to find the best replacements.

https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp18004.html

There are (today) 87 Solux bulbs there for $7.43 each. If you need more than that, I'd be happy to search for other sites that will sell you the bulbs. MANY sites are selling them! That they are no longer being made isn't material to being able to replace them. 

9 minutes ago, frans_waterlander said:

I'm very interested in the NorthLux BR30 LED lamp that you tested and raved about: 

You can buy them here:

https://www.waveformlighting.com

Edited by digitaldog

Just now, frans_waterlander said:

I have spare SoLux bulbs, that's not the issue. 

Then you're all set with an inferior LED that fits what you say you prefer: ("I prefer 12V MR16's since I have a 12-volt MR16 track lighting setup").

On 2/18/2023 at 12:16 AM, frans_waterlander said:

The Sylvania 5000K 40929 MR16 LED lamp can be plugged into the same flight fixtures used for SoLux MR16 bulbs. Its TruWave technology reduces the nasty blue peaks present in most other LED lamps. I installed them in my digital darkroom, recalibrated my monitor and I get as good a match between my images on the monitor and prints as with the now obsolete SoLux lamps. You get a vastly improved life time and lower power consumption as well.

2 minutes ago, digitaldog said:

Then you're all set with an inferior LED that fits what you say you prefer: ("I prefer 12V MR16's since I have a 12-volt MR16 track lighting setup").

That doesn't work for me. Based on your report, that LED is out. Again, you posting the corrected test report on the NorthLux lamp would be greatly appreciated.

1 minute ago, frans_waterlander said:

That doesn't work for me.

That is indeed a shame. 🥲

1 minute ago, frans_waterlander said:

Again, you posting the corrected test report on the NorthLux lamp would be greatly appreciated.

That makes no sense; no idea what you're looking for ("a corrected test report"). 

2 minutes ago, frans_waterlander said:

The "SPD" part on the right.

9 minutes ago, digitaldog said:

That makes no sense; no idea what you're looking for ("a corrected test report"). 

Just now, frans_waterlander said:

The "SPD" part on the right is not an SPD.

21 minutes ago, digitaldog said:

Maybe Sandy or someone else can tell you what you want to hear.

I've provided the color science and data about the LEDs you recommended; they are hardly a Solux replacement other than they fit by being MR16s.