large animals in upper midwest

kim_kaiser

I will be traveling through the dakotas possibly wyoming in next

couple of weeks. OUld anyone have an idea of where good buffalo, elk,

moose, etc.( large mammals etc) would be located in these areas? ANy

knowldege or direction would be appreciated,,

Thanking you in advance

Kim Kaiser

The best spot for bison and elk in North Dakota is at Theodore Roosevelt National Park near Medora. Very scenic area with good numbers of animals. I photograph there numerous times throughout the year. They are rounding up elk to be shipped to Kentucky and other places this week. Trying to reduce the number from about 500 to 250. They are using helicopters so the remaining animals will likely be on edge for awhile. The bison, however, are usually very cooperative subjects. You also have "wild" horses in the park, which provide another large animal subject. There is a wildlife loop road which is closed when conditions deteriorate. However, last year I visited during the end of January and with a reasonable amount of hiking found good numbers of subjects to photograph. The weather can be brutal, so be prepared for the worst. I don't know as much about moose, but their best concentrations are in the Turtle Mountains near Bottineau, ND in the northern part of the state. Hope things work out for you. Let me know if you need any more info.

Try Custer State Park in the Black Hills of western South Dakota,

South of Rapid City. Bufalo herd, antelope, "wild" burros, deer, all

viewable from decent roads. Take time to explore.

Non-expressway route from Sturgis SD to north of Cheyenne WY goes

through nice country and provides views of antelope from roads. Check

maps for the route. Decent roads, and not much traffic. Have not

traveled this area in winter. Check for advisories on travel

conditions, etc.

Dick Bolton

Kim I agree the Black Hills area would be your best bet. Custer Park is good and if in the area try driving the road to Mt. Rushmore, U.S. Highway 16 Alt. I have seen Mountain Goat there many times. When I have seen them it has been in the Summer and coats are shaggy but now they should be prime. If it don't work out you can always see the Four Faces.

Also I was in Buffalo WY. over Christmas. We drove up in to the Mountains West out of town on Highway 16. There are many Elk a few miles out of town but we didn't get close to them. About 20 miles from town (West) near the State Department of Transportation Highway Camp is an area with many willows and we always saw Moose there. A few small to average Bulls and several Cows, most without Calves sigh. I would be careful about taking side roads, The snow can get DEEP QUICK. One could find yourself stuck until Spring. Good luck let us know how it works out.

Kim, I'm out in the Black Hills every year (my folks live there, lucky things) and I want to let you know that the buffalo are corraled until March or April. You might find one or two that missed the roundup in October, but for the most part, you won't find buffalo. However, pronghorn antelope, the mountain goats and deer are abundant. I know people who've seen elk in the Hills (and they do live there) but I've never seen one.

There is no doubt that you're going to love what you see in Custer State Park (if you go). I've lots of photos if you would like to see any of them. Feel free to type me if you want more information, and let us know what you think after you get back. Too bad you aren't going in the summer... the Iron Mountain Road is the greatest way to get to Mt. Rushmore, but more often than not, it's closed in the winter.

Best,

Debra

I don't know what experience you have with driving the northern plains states in winter, but let me warn you that driving there requires that you be well prepared! People die there in winter due to what would be minor problems in summer. Check with the auto club or some other reliable source for information on travel, weather, and specific safety and survival gear to have with you. At temperatures in the minus 20s and 30s and not a soul within miles to help, you can freeze to death real fast.

Good luck,

Frank

Don't let Frank scare you about the weather. I grew up in North Dakota and it RARELY gets to 20 or 30 below. It usually gets down to single digits, and the wind chill is colder, but you'll be in a car so the wind won't bother you. I was actually stuck in a vehicle overnight during a blizzard, and didn't die. Some extra food and a warm blanket are a good idea though. I agree with the others about Teddy Roosevelt NP and Custer State Park. I've seen plenty of large mammals at both of these places. I've also heard that Badlands NP is a good place to go, although I've never been there. One other place is just west of the Black Hills at Devils Tower WY. I've seen pictures of bison there, but last summer all I saw was deer and prairie dogs.