Lens for the Canon Eos Elan 7

khitrovg

I am very new to SLR photography, I have been taking digital photos,

now its time to try something new. I have purchased Canon EOS Elan 7

body, however, I am torn between two lenses 1. Canon 85mm f/1.8 & 2.

Caonon 200mm f/2.8l II Can someone advise me on what would your

preference be? I would like to use them for Portraits and still life.

Sincerely, Greg

Those are both excellent lenses. The cost of both of them would equal out to a good used 70-200 2.8 L which is an awesome portrait lens. I mean awesome. But both these lenses are great. I myself am going to buy a 85mm and a 100 F2 this month. Top notch optical quality

200mm is too restrictive to have as your only lens, especially for portraits. If you're set on one of these two it'd have to be the 85mm f/1.8.

However, for the same money and coverage I'd go with a 70-200 f/4 new or shop around for a used 70-200 f/2.8 from someone upgrading to the IS version. Both are superb lenses and will cover many needs for years to come as your skills progress. The only drawback is that they're larger than standard lenses.

Buy whichever lens you like, but cough up an extra $70 USD for a 50/1.8.

Skip the consumer zooms if you want to do portraits (except the 70-200/2.8 if you've got the budget) ... The zooms are best used when they can be stopped down a lot.

For what you've said you want to do, I agree that the 85 f/1.8 is the best choice.

<p>I usually recommend two lenses to an SLR newbie: 28-135 IS -or- 28-105 (older not the new) AND the 50mm f/1.8--which has wonderful optics and a low-low price.

<p>This combination gives newer photographers the ease of a zoom and a fast lens to use for low-light situations. The 50mm *can* be used for portraits, although it's not an ideal focal length.

<p>Many will pooh-pooh me for suggesting a zoom, but it all depends on what you want/need to do with it. If you are just doing portraits, still life or landscapes, primes will work wonderfully and will likely be your best choice.

<p>However, I've found my zoom lenses indispensible. I'm not in any shape to "run for the shot" and my style of shooting doesn't always allow me to time to change lenses in order to catch a shot.

I do believe that everyone who buys a Canon SLR with a budget should get the 50mm f/1.8 II (or I if you can). It's one of my favs and I almost always use it especially for low light and night photography.

As for the zoom to match your Elan 7, I will agree with Melissa with the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM. =p It's a great versatile lens that's not too expensive if you look around. Don't be afraid of buying used. If you have a larger budget, then consider the 28-135mm IS USM or if you think you might like more at the wide end, the 24-85mm USM.

For portraiture work, the 28-105mm would be fine for the beginning enthusiast. If you want a bit more of a reach then consider the 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. I have this lens as well and together with my 28-105mm and 50mm, I believe I've developed a fairly good quality and versatile lens arsenal. If you plan on shooting more handheld shots and are weary of shakey hands, consider the IS version. I chose to save the money for later and pass on the IS. Besides, if you have access to a sturdy tripod, you won't need the IS.

I've been using a Rebel Ti but I will soon be using an Elan 7e. I too was very new to photography not long ago but I've done my research and I've been working pretty hard at it to really know what I want/need. I believe that once my Elan 7e w/ BP-300 have arrived, I will be quite content and proud with my system.

Good luck and have fun!