Smokey Mtn. Natl Park in late March ?????

jim_thompson1

I am going to be able to spend a few days in Townsend Tn. in late

March, was wondering if anyone could direct me to locations in the

park that might be of intrest at that time. Is it a bit early for

that road to be open, (think its called roaring fork road, or

something like that)? I do shoot landscapes as well as wildlife, and

flowers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim Thompson

From Townsend to Roaring Fork Road take Cades Cove Road to Gatlinberg(turning left out of Townsend).Turn right at the 3rd traffic light(by the tall obsevation tower)and go about 3 miles and follow the signs.Roaring Fork has alot of streams and old pioneer buildings along the way.If you turn right out of Townsend on Cades Cove Road it will take you to Cades Cove,an eleven mile motor trail that has large open fields with lots of deer,fox,and other various animals.Great vistas can be seen on the main road through the Park going to Cherokee N.C.The Blue Ridge Parkway is on the Cherokee side of the Park.You can stop at either of the two visitor centers for specific sites within the park.The snow has not been heavy this year and all roads are open at this time.One of my favorite places on Earth!Have a great trip,Never

If you're staying in Townsend, the Cades Cove loop road will be the best location in the park for wildlife. The loop road opens to auto traffic at sunrise. I generally find the first two hours after sunrise are the best for wildlife photography. Allow about 30 minutes from Townsend to the loop road gate. In all but the winter months, the road is closed to auto traffic during the morning on, I believe, Wednesdays & Saturdays. Check the Park web site at www.nps.gov for details.

Roaring Fork Road will be open but March could be a little early for wildflowers. For wildlife Cades Cove will be your best bet. For landscapes Hwy 441 between Gatlinburg and Cherokee offers many pullouts. For sunrise Newfound Gap and Clingmans Dome are popular and for sunset Morton's Overlook. Maps are available at the visitors centers.

We lived in Knoxville for nine years :) and then moved away twelve years ago :( My favorite trip area was the one to Newfound Gap.

There is a "quiet walkway" on the left side of the road up to Newfound gap just a few miles above Sugarlands Visitor's Center. From there, you can walk a short distance (1/4 mi?) to one of the streams. You'll find nice water and rocks there.

As you continue the upward ascent, stop in the Chimneys PICNIC area and explore the area at the beginning of the nature trail there. I was there the end of March last year, and the hepaticas should be open then. (I would liked driving up in March to see the first signs of spring.)

Someone else noted the sunset possibilities from Newfound Gap and from Clingman's Dome. Actually, the road to Clingman's Dome does not open until April 1. I e-mailed the park earlier this year, and they confirmed this date.

Newfound Gap is a nice place for sun RISES. There is a pulloff that is less than a mile from Newfound Gap on the Tennessee side. That's the place to get sunsets with aerial perspective. Actually, it's the lowest of about three or four sunsets. The rocks in that area are covered with lichens, and would provide good pics as well.

Another place that I like is the road to the motor nature trail. I fell in love with the "place of a thousand drips" the first time that I saw an image of it. Just be very careful on the slippery rocks. The stream that follows the road has lots of photo opps.

Have fun. Say "Hi" if you see me there this spring break. :)

John

I believe that March is probably a little early for bears, but bears in the Smokies are problamatic at best any time of the year. I've had the best luck in the late fall in Cades Cove when they shake the acorns out of the large oak trees. Bears are there but they stay away from people. If they don't, the rangers relocate them or put them down. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. On a trip last fall we stayed in a motel near Gatlinburg in a room overlooking a stream. One morning, the neighbors said "Did you see the two bears playing in the stream under your window last night?" I slept through it all. Well, it was too dark for pictures anyway!

One of my favorite trails is the Alum Cave Trail. You get some really different views along this trail. Part of it you are in a forest canopy following a creek, about 1.5 miles up you hit a neat geologic formation called Arch Rock, then for the next mile or so you get some pretty dramatic scenics. At about 2.5 miles you hit another interesting geologic formation called the Alum Cave Bluffs. Depending on your energy level, you can either turn around and head back down or you can continue for awhile enjoying some more beautiful scenics including a spectacular view of Mt LeConte. This can be a challenging trail, especially past Arch Rock...make sure you have decent hiking boots (well broken in) and plenty of water.