Leica shop in Denver

Mile High Camera (also known as Werner's Mile High) on 1641 California St. in downtown Denver is an excellent place with friendly service but, like with all of these kind of specialty shops/Leica boutiques, tends to run on the pricey side. Doesn't hurt to visit, though, especially if you'll be in the area. Regards-

IMHO, the shops that carry second hand leicas here in Denver have very small inventories and the prices are generally nothing special. I'm sure others will correct me if they disagree. Unless you can catch a camera show when you're in town, you're not likely to find any bargains.

The address of Denver Pro Photo is 235 S. Cherokee, 303-698-1790. Generally, you'll find two or three leica cameras and two or three lenses there, but plenty of rental equipmentand good supplies of lighting equipment, film and filters and they do many types of photo processing, including B&W.

I will disagree - gently - with Peter. Denver metro area has a pop. of 2.5 million. It has at least 7 retail outlets that carry new Leica, plus a couple of used-only outlets. This seems fairly high per capita. i.e I'd be suprised to find 28 Leica retailers in the Chicago metro area (pop. 10 million+) - but might be wrong.

The inventory of used equipment at any one time ebbs and flows.

I've seen times when it was possible, at one instant in time, across the various outlets, to find a used sample of practically every Leica M body or lens ever made (except the obvious extreme rarities). And other times when there was something of a drought. Right now used stock seems to be a bit lower than average (possibly due to me - =8^o). I've found all of the following M-gear used within the past 7 months - M6 classics .85x and .72x; 35 1.4 ASPH; 28 2.8, 21 2.8, 90 f/2, 135 f/4, 35 f/2 v.4.

In addition I've seen various chrome 50 f/2 collapsibles, 35 f/2.8s with M3 eyes, 90 'fat' Tele-Elmarits, and a scattering of titanium-colored pieces.

In addition to the stores already mentioned: Camera Trader (Englewood/Hampden Ave.); Mike's Camera (3 locations - Boulder store carries the used inventory); Ritz camera (two blocks south of Mile High (1500 California Ave) - nothing used the last time I was in, but has had M4-P, M3, 21, 35 1.4, 28-R pieces at times)

The Wolf Camera downtown Denver is a pretty big store carrying Leica, but it seems their selection isn't that great. But they do carry a lot of other items, and I think another Leica shop is near them as well. 1545 California in Denver.

1545 California is the address for Werner's Mile High Camera. Of all the stores, I'd say that they, S&S Optika, and Denver Pro Photo probably have the largest stock, but it varies each time I visit them. Personally, I have never been all that impressed with Werner's service.

S&S Optika and DPP both take used items on a consignment basis, so they may carry more when used equipment sales are slow. I've had great service from both places, and I'd say they would be my top picks.

Camera Trader in Englewood occasionally has items at really good prices, but it's really hit and miss. Most of their used Leica stuff (when they have any) is overpriced, but I did pick up an Ex+ MR4 meter for $75 and it works perfectly.

I'd pass on Mike's Camera for used Leicas. In the last year all I have seen is a beater M3 for $850, and a couple of 135mm f/4 Elmars (ie the successor for the Hektor) for $500 - $600. That's from visiting the Boulder store probably once every couple of weeks.

How's the snow? Good question. I'm stuck on business in southern California, getting an earful from my wife who tells me the snowplow piled 4 ft of snow at the end of our driveway, and when the hell am I getting home to clear it...?! Sounds like we're in for more middle of next week, so when I do make it home, I probably won't be allowed to travel until August!

Cheers

S&S Optika is great, and since things are on consignment, you can make a reasonable offer that Kathy can present to the seller. Things come and go quickly so you might want to call ahead and see what she has on hand or is expecting. Also, acmefoto.com is located in Louisville. Kit, the owner, sells mail/web order only, but I'm sure you could arrange a meeting if you know what you want to buy (new). Have a great trip.

I agree with all of the above. There are nice people all over town.

I've had the most dealings with Denver ProPhoto usually buying

new. I've bought used from both S&S Optika (50/1.2 Noctilux

[Thanks, Andy]) and Mile High (a whole host of stuff--mostly LTM

ranging from a If, to an 85 Summarex, and a 125 Hektor).

Currently, I would say Mile High in downtown has the most used

R equipment around. A black paint Leicaflex is sitting in their

case begging to be purchased! Attached is a photo from

today's storm.

Ben, Werner no longer owns the business. His head

salesman, Jim, moved several years ago. (Jim was arrogant

and ill-informed.) The service orientation is superb now. I was

there today watching Dave Wolfe (new owner) spend over an

hour explaining digital camera options to a young man with his

girlfriend and dad watching over his shoulder. I was done very

nicely.