What Equipment for Iraq?

david_mcclain

Sorry if this is perceived as a stupid question. It certainly wasn't intended to be. I am asking because there is a chance I may actually get to take this trip. I was looking for more specific advice. Such as lenses, bodies, etc. I was thinking of a Nikon F5 with a 17-35 ED IF AF-S lens; 80-200 2.8D; a tripod; etc.

If you really want to go into a hot, dusty war zone, I would stick with a mechanical camera that can carry on when you're away from the nearest store that can sell you batteries, and you have nowhere to plug in your recharger. You may even want to consider the Nikonos, as it's sealed against virtually everything. For conventional cameras, consider the rugged F, F2, or F3. If you look at this posting below from the editor of "Soldier of Fortune" magazine, you'll want an F3 with a 55 f/2.8 Micro, and a 24mm f/2.8 lens.<p>http://www.cameraquest.com/combatph.htm

For automated cameras, lots of batteries and film and a backup body. For mechanical cameras, a few extra batteries, lots of film and a backup body.

Several lenses - if one is damaged by sand or otherwise, you still have the others.

Basically what you'd bring anywhere to be sure of getting some pictures.

Nothing you can't afford to lose.

Maybe a bodyguard - I guess it's more like "safe" than safe...

Then why didnt you say something along those lines to begin?

Screw mechanical cameras. Take some batteries. For Gods sake, is it really so difficult to carry batteries? My EOS 5's last for 20 plus rolls on one battery - usually more.

Take a spare body or two, take plenty batteries, and take the lenses you have. If you need advice on lens choice, perhaps you shouldn't be going at all.

A Nikon 600mm AFS to shoot from a distance

A Nikon 28mm f1.4 to shoot in the dark

A Nikon 17-35mm to shoot wide

An Nikon 80-200mm AFS to shoot fast

A Sig Sauer 9mm to shoot everything else

Sig Sauer? Let's see, the Iraqis are so formidable that it could prompt the country with a larger military budget than the next 15 powers combined to say with a straight face the words "serious threat". You must be very brave indeed to face such an Iraq with a mere Sig Sauer.

Three lenses (that you don't really care about) and at least one body, (like the FM2n.) The addition of a light meter (non-battery operated type) would be good to have, too. Sandy and/or dusty conditions would probably make the equipment near-worthless before you left the area.

Take a Polaroid instant camera as well (or if you shoot digital, one of those little direct print units from Sony or Canon). You can break the ice and get goodwill by giving the people you photograph a small keepsake.

As said, a manual camera (FM2n or F3HP),a 24mm, a 55mm micro or a 50mm 1.8, maybe a 85mm or 105mm for aftermath "candid" portraits and possibly a 200mm if something is still hot and you arebrave enough to show your camrea and capture the action.Dress khaki and gear vest(same color)for blending in ;-),lots of films and plastic bag(zippo closure) for protect somewhat against the dust and sand your equipment.Oh ,first aid kit,portable water container and(sorry for the joke)a body bag just in case ;-)

Good luck

Robert

P.D.Been in Nicaragua,in the mountains for a couple of days in 1984 and is was not pleasant.

I take 2 Nikon F100/F5 bodies and a buttload of AA batteries. 100 rolls of film(slide or print), 24-85 af and 80-200 Af 2.8. I was on vacation in London 2 years ago with my wife and took 15 rolls of film. I took 3 rolls with me to Buckingham palace for the "changing of the guardz" and I went thru thos 3 rolls in about 5 minutes. The hotel was too far too expensive a taxi drive to return for more film so after searching around for 20 minutes, I found a little tourist shop and paid $15 roll for Konica color 200asa film. Needless to say, I have learned my lesson since then. And aside from photographic equipment, I would take a few cartons of cigerettes(methol), 2-3 rolls of your favorite toilet paper( don't laugh, beats Mcdonalds wrappers) couple of small bottles of tabasco sauce (can fix almost any meal)a thousand dollars in small denomination bills ($5-$10 notes of US dollars or Euros) and a couple bottles of Stotch whiskey and most important a Arabic phrasebook.

Belive it or not, not everyone in the world understands English (not even in England or Australia).

I second the call for a mechanical camera. There are those who will poo-poo the possibility of encountering electro-magnetic pulse while in the Mideast; but it will be quite some time, I think, before things become peaceful in the region. In the meanwhile, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that some sort of EMP generating event (such as a nuke) will occur. If it does, and if you survive it - and if you think you'll want a camera that works afterwards - then you'll want it to be as close to 100% mechanical as you can get.<P>

I would also be very clear in my own mind, if I were you, about my motivations for doing this. If it's a smug adventure trip, or down-market sight-seeing, then I think you'd be well advised to look elsewhere.