eyes ain't so good neither, so my pictures came out out of focus too

often for my liking. Next wedding, I say I'm using an EOS-3 for the

better AF, but I hear that thing is louder than a MOAB. The 10D looks

nice, and I pray that the AF is better than the Elan7 (don't really

expect so, but the two can't be <b>that</b> similar), and it took me

three weeks to get through scanning the 15 rolls of film.<p>

So... how is the mirror noise and the like with the D60, 10D, Elan7,

and EOS-3. The Elan7 is blisfully quiet. I used a friend's D100 and

thought it was very quiet too. Less stuff moving around I guess.

Just on the basis of noise, how do these models compare. Has anyone

done a true test of the AF between a 10D and its brother Elan7?

1. The low light AF problem of the 7/7e is well known. It can be easily cured with the aid of 420EX or 550EX which provide AF assist beam. I have the 7e + 550EX and wherever (and whenever) there is enough light for me to see, there is enough light for the 7e to focus.

2. Yes, the EOS 3 is a VERY loud camera. When I was upgrading to an E-TTL model I was torn between the 7e and the 3. The 3 is obviously a much better body but coming from the old ELAN (100) I just couldn't get over this. I finally got the 7e and learn to live with its shortcomings. I prefer it to the other way around. An anecdote: When I was testing the EOS 3 I woke my wife who was sleeping about 8m away, door closed. As for me, I felt like I was shooting (a machine gun), not shooting (taking pictures). Pardon the pun but I just couldn't resist :-)

3. Yes, the EOS 3 will AF much better than the 7/7e but only if you use f/2.8 or faster lenses. See http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_eos3.htm for technical details.

I can't comment on the DSLR's as I never used them but maybe this http://photonotes.org/reviews/D30-D60-1D-1Ds/ could help.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

As mentioned AF can easily be cured with the addition of an external speedlite such as the 420EX or 550EX, if you don't want to use flash, you can disable the main flash but still use the AF beam.

As far as AF, the D30/60 is worse than the Elan 7 and the 10D looks like its on par with the Elan 7's AF.

Best chance is to get an external speedlite.

Yeah, but what about the shortcomings the speedlite wont cure. I keep my Elan7 for my wife. She is prone to ganglion cysts in here wrists and thus can't hold a heavier camera for very long. I may end up having to sell the Elan7 and get her an A2. ETTL is nice, but not enough so that I would sacrifie vital control of metering(spot) among others like the 1/3 stop adjustment increments and auto focus that is dead on with a view finder that is bright and contrasty. I bought a 1n and it really is not all that disturbing even with the booster or without. Autofocus and metering is like a mix between a Pitbull and a Bloodhound. You can also find them for as low as $359. Thats what I paid for mine then an extra $50 for the battery magazine so I guess at $400 dollars I got a sweet camera. That is what I paid for my Elan 7. As I said, ETTL and quiet motrodrive/mirror slap is not worth what you lose if you were to buy a louder EOS3. If its any consolation I have heard the 1N is a bit quietr. I have not shot them side by side yet but my memory of shooting my freinds EOS3 and my 1N, mine does seem a bit quieter. In fact there is a 1 in the want adds here for $350. The 1 (not the 1N) does not have mirror lockup, and only has 1 focus point, but many people are still happy with them. If didn't need mirro lockup so bad I might have bought a 1. when I go to buy a back up it might just as easily be a 1.

Hi Nicholas,

I've just received my 10D on Wednesday, and have been putting it through some paces. I too shoot weddings with the Elan 7, but will go digital this year <film scanning is such a pain>. It may be psychological, but the AF on the 10D seems to be a bit faster and more sure than the 7. Shots at 1600ISO also blew my socks off! I usually shoot NPH at 320, so it'll be nice to even shoot at a true 800ISO rating. The body is *much* more solid than the Elan: I was always worried when I mounted my 70-200L IS on it since the body would noticably flex. The magnesium shell of the 10D is solid. It's a much thicker camera, but feels really good in the hands. So far, I'm in love. I've yet to shoot a paying gig on it, but hope that it will delivery what I think it will.

Best,

Forgot to add: I shoot with the 550EX, so low light is not a problem. I tried shooting some pics of my baby son sleeping one night, with only the nightlight on in the other corner of the room. Needless to say, focusing without the flash was useless.

Like many others, I'd suggest using the AF assist of the 420 or 550.

Although the EOS 3 is loud by Elan standards, it's softer than my old Nikon 8008S or FM3A with MD-12 winder! I don't find it too loud for most outdoor shooting. Besides, models need to hear the winder so they know when to change poses. A candle light wedding is a different matter! Like other posters have said, if you need AF in low light situations without flash, mount a 420EX or 550EX on your Elan 7 and set CF-3. This CF allows near infrared AF assist without flash.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I can relate to David on the issue of mounting the 70-200 2.8 L on the Elan7. I don't have the IS version but that 3lb lens noticeably flexes on the Elan7. Funny, after having my 1n/w booster for a week when i pick up the Elan7 it feels like a toy. The good part is that it won't torque my wifes wrists which are prone to ganglion cysts. One had to be removed 10 years ago, wit ha hammer and chisel,seriuosly, and she has a problem stabilizing items like that in her hands. In saying that, everything has its little niche. I will replace it only if my wife has a problem manually focusing it while pursueing her macro interests. It seems to work better for her, but then again with my glasses my face is already farther from th eview finder than hers.