I recently purchased a used Nikon TC-14B (to use on Nikkor 300mm f4.0

AF) and in the course of use discovered that there is some rotational

play (est. 1/8") between the TC and the N90S mount. Otherwise I can

see no other problem with the TC and it does not appear (to me) that

this "problem" effects the operation. The converter appeared to be in

very good condition, did not exhibit any evidence of heavy usage, and

the TC-to-camera mount was clean and showed no evidence of heavy

usage or damage. Is this condition normal? Is it something that I

need to have serviced? Am I concerned for no reason?

Some play is common with all brands of lens mounts (perhaps excepting the obsolete Canon breech locking mount). This occurs because the locking pin on the camera mount is slightly smaller than the mating hole in the lens mount itself. This is needed so that the lens will click into position smoothly.

If the lens mount shows little or no wear, the play is of no concern for practical shooting. Be aware however that significant play may give rise to problems with lens communication to the camera, because the electronic contacts do not mate properly with the camera.

David,

I have used this exact combination for a number of years as my lightweight bird rig. It's also a great combo for snakes and lizards, especially with a PN-11 extension tube added. I have also experienced a little bit of rotational play between the TC and the body, but it has never resulted in any noticable image degradation so I stopped worrying about it.

However, one other thing to watch out for is loosening of the small screws that hold the TC mounting plate to the body of the TC. I actually had those loosen while running around the Arizona desert last year. When this happenend I was actually able to "wiggle" the camera body back and forth while it was attached to the TC. Since this resulted in the film plane being changed slightly relative to the lens, it would likely have affected image quality to some extent. I was fortunate that I noticed it and was able to re-tighten the screws with a jeweler's screw driver set I happened to have along (before it fell to pieces on the desert floor <g>).

Rotational play shouldn't effect the relationship to the film plane

and hence sharpness. One wants to watch that the hole that recieves

the set pin from the camera body doesn't get to torn up.

I think one also whats to be careful that one does not do to much

lifting by the camera body. I had several nikon 300mm + lens that

torqued the lens mounting plate out of true which was an interting

though not preferable method of getting a "tilt" fucntion on a

I have the TC-14 converter, the non-AIS TC-14B. It has the same rotational play that you describe with both the 300mm f/4 AF lens, and the 300mm f/4.5 IF-ED MF lens. You have nothing to worry about, other than a possible slight exposure shift because of inaccuracy of the aperture ring. I have not, however, found this to be a practical problem.

I recently bought a used TC-14b and 300f4 to use on my N90 and returned the 300f4 due to excess play ( and I had alot less than 1/8 inch). There was a small dent in the edge of the pin aperture. What drove me nuts was the movement of the camera when mounted on a tripod. If you have 1/8 inch play at the mount it will be magnified several times by the time it reaches the edge of the camera body. A new 300f4 lens improved the problem but there is still a small amount of play. (less than 1mm at the mount). Although I wish there was none, the current amount of play does not bother me too much.

Joe.