Fomapan

SouthJerseyMan

I note that B&H Photo always has 35mm Fomapan available on its website. It is manufactured in the Czech Republic, and the price is reasonable. The film is for making b&w slides.  Has anyone ever used this film? I am very curious. It seems that it would be a good way to make b&w slides. But I am not able to process it myself, and Dwayne's in Kansas is not likely capable to process it. DR5 is closing down, and it did this type of processing. I like the current Ektachrome, but Fujichrome now has very limited availability, and it costs $$$. I think b&w slides could be neat, but where can you get it processed? Thanks for any insight.

It's only the Fomapan 100R which is for reversal process. There is also a Fomapan 100 (no R) which is a general-purpose negative film. I've used that (and the 400). They're ok. With sheet film, I have a grudge against them because they don't have interleaves between the sheets, and I waste some sheets when they stick to my fingers.

I am more used to Ilford films, and haven't used enough of the Foma to get past the disadvantages of something new, I guess. Ilford has a reversal process how-to document and it says their Pan F works well. There is also Adox Scala film and chemicals.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/REVERSAL-180619.pdf

You can reversal process any black and white film, or negative process one that says reversal.

Reversal films, including Ektachrome and Fujichrome, have more contrast, as that is

what makes them look right.

Kodak used to sell a processing kit for either the special "Direct Positive" film, or Panatomic-X,

to process as slides. 

I now have one of those kits, someday to get around to using. 

The first developer is D-67.  (Yes, not D-76.)

The second developer is special, and only lasts a short time after mixing.

If you want to do two rolls (rated capacity) you have to mix while the first roll is

in the first developer. 

More recent, there is a reversal kit for TMax-100 which has, if I remember,

D-96 and D-97. 

There is a Facebook group specifically for discussing B&W reversal processing:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/468561823338167

-- glen