Re Conditions on Dry Tortugas in late April

l._timms

I am hoping to go to the Dry Tortugas in late April (for bird

photography) and camp on the island. Has anyone been before? What are

the temperatures like? Is there potable water there? Are bugs a

problem? Any insight you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

My wife and I recently left the Tortugas after a year and a half stint there. Late april is an outstanding time to be there. The temps are typically in in the upper 70's at night ranging to near 90 during the day, although this varies some. Bugs are not much of a problem. You may encounter the occasional mosquito or no-see-um but after being elswhere in the SE US, I think the bug problem is virtually non-existent. There is no potable water on the island save one water fountain in the visitor center. If you are planning on camping, plan to bring all your own water and food. The one water fountain cannot provide enough water for all your needs and is closed sunset to sunrise anyway. Plan to pack everything out that you take in with you.

The photography that time of year is great. The potential for shooting many bird species is outstanding. However, many of the migratory birds are small and hang out under trees. My recommendation would be to bring a long lens, teleconverters, extension tubes, and a good flash unit for fill flash under the trees. The potential for flight shots of pelicans and magnificent frigate birds are also very good. At that time approximately 100,000 sooty terns will be nesting on Bush key. However, the key is strictly off-limits during the nesting season. I would also recommend a wide-angle lens as there are many good possibilities for nice scenics. Sorry if I'm rambling but it brings back such great memories. If you have any other questions feel free to email me!

I camped there in the second week of April, which was a little too early for the big migration fall-outs. I've since heard that they can be really big starting around the 15th. Weather dependent of course.

The campground is adequate, except that it's dry. No water to wash, and it's sandy. Keep all of your gear covered especially if it's windy.

Watch out for Naval Hueys. The campground is fifty feet from a Helo Pad, and when I was there, our "boys" landed a Double propeller helicopter when the campground was full. My site along with three others were blown across the campground and nearly sent into the Gulf. Three boy-scout tents were broken. NPS did little to warn us or help us afterwards.

Pelican photography was excellent. Cormorants are out on the pier. Scenic coral reef shots abound. Also good aerial shots of Frigatebirds. 400mm f 5.6 autofocus recommended.

That's definately the time to go. I've taken many trips to the Dry Tortugas over the years. I recommend tagging along with a group the first time you go, such as Florida Audubon Society or Tropical Audubon Society. They host a trip there every April. About 20 people go on a 90 foot fishing vessel out of Key West. You can bring all the camping equipment you want on the boat and they have fresh water on board for showering, etc. It just makes life easier. Meals are provided, as well as trips to surrounding areas on a small runabout. They used to stay for three nights and the price was very reasonable. While the wildlife is great, Fort Jefferson also offers great photographic opportunities. The Dry Tortugas is a wonderful, enchanting place.

I also recommend a 400mm range AF lens. You'll want to do a lot of hand-held shooting, so I wouldn't recommend a 400mm f2.8 or 600mm f4, unless you're also bringing a lighter and slower 400 or a 300mm f4 or 2.8. I'd also recommend a 1.4X TC and tripod, of course. An AF zoom in the 80-200mm range would be great for closer shots of Magnificent Frigatebirds, shot from the top of the walls, as the birds soar on air currents created by wind blowing in against the fort walls. They sometimes come soaring just over your head. A standard range lens or zoom the incorporates that focal length and a wide angle (I made great use of the 24mm on my many trips) are perfect for scenics and shots of the fort, etc. If you wanted to, you could hitch a ride on a seaplane out of Key West Seaplane and get some nice aerial shots on your way in, but there is a pretty tight equipment weight limit on a small seaplane. You might want to stay an extra day after getting back to Key West from the trip and take a flight out and back, just to get the aerials. There are many possibilities here.

I have camped at the Tortugas two different years; both times for approx. 10 days at a time; doing a lot of bird photography. The first trip was in late April and the second trip was in mid May. Both are excellent times at the height of spring migration.

All of the previous comments are very accurate. My suggestion is to always camp, but it is the biggest effort. Another easier option is to do a 4 day 3 night tour with Field Guides, an excellet bird tour company in Austin, Texas. You can check out their website

www.fieldguides.com

Their trip would be a birding tour, so you would have less photographic opportunities. However, you can always request to be left on an island to photograph while the group is birding somewhere else. Their boat will pick you up at a later time. Field Guides can assist you also if you wanted to stay out longer, in addition to doing a tour.