subjects. I am debating whether or not to use my current lenses or to

buy a Macro lens such as the Nikkor 120 AM ED apo macro or the

Schneider lens of similar design. I am less interested in comparing

the virtues of the specific lenses now and more interested in

opinions about the value of using such lenses vs. a "normal" lens

with lots of bellows draw.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob: There is lots of data available out there and you will find it very rewarding (and money saving) to learn how to read it. The Schneider web site has a paper that explains their data, there are also excellent (non-manufacturer) sites that deal with the issue in good detail. The data shows you the performance you can expect from Schneider lenses at various degrees of magnification and from that you can arrive at your own conclusion as to the a lens' performance in the close up range. I recommend the Schneider site because from it you get hard data you can yourself evaluate, rather than opinions (and number of ED glasses...really) as is the case with all other manufacturers. Generally speaking, symmetrical lenses perform better over a wider range of magnifications, the symmar lenses for example. The G-claron lenses are typical macro lenses, others are more specifically designed for 1:2 to about 1:5 such as the Schneider macro. If you already have a symmar 150 or 135, try it first before taking the plunge. I guarantee you will be amazed. Some macro lenses are designed for extremely low distortion. If you are doing technical work that may be an important issue. Fortunately Schneider gives you that information also.

I was really surprised at just how much difference there is in macro V non macro lenses for close work. I had to shoot some jewelry and when shot with a standard 210mm it looked great, I shot the same thing with an APO Macro lens it simply blew the standard 210 out of the water.

If you plan on doing a lot of close up then buy one, if not then maybe just rent it for a while.

CP Goerz

I use a Nikkor 210mm AM ED lens as the mainstay of my macro work on 10x8. the lens can cover up to 11x14 @1:1 so there is plenty of room for movements. the sharpness and colour rendition is second to none even if used wide open. my 210mm gives a very bright image for focussing, f5.6, but can be stopped down to f64. you will still need to draw the bellows out and compensate exposure as you would a standard lens to gain magnification, however, beware that you cannot use a macro lens to take conventional pictures at infinity as you will not have the coverage, these lenses are designed exclusively to be used at roughly the 2:1 - 5:1 ratio

thanks david