Deep-Six the Mini-Trekker Straps?

john_wall1

Ray Jardine would have a fit if he saw my new Mini-Trekker.... I'm

thinking about cutting off the chest and waist straps -- not for

lightness so much as confusion-reduction. Has anyone done this and

lived to regret it?

Also, I'm thinking about Scotchguarding the bottom so I can set it in

dewy grass, etc. Any negative feedback on that count? Thanks!

On longer hikes with my mini-trekker loaded, I've found that the ability to alternate between putting the load on my shoulder and waist helps to lessen fatigue. The sternum strap for me is useless. It sits too low and comes across the top of my stomach instead of my chest. It does however, contribute to keeping the shoulder straps from pulling outward. You might try color coding the buckles and/or tying unused straps out of the way before cutting off the straps permanently.

Ray Jardine has always been in favor of cutting stuff up - whether it be new granite handholds on Yosemite's El Cap or bells and whistles on his pack. I wouldn't suggest following his lead.

Do you really get confused with the sternum strap, etc? If so, go for it! But judging by the fine photographs on your web page I would guess that you are not truely confused by bells and whistles. I think that you will get used to the convenience of the sternum strap and waist belt.

The packcloth is coated on the inside so Scotchguard won't help keep your gear dry (not much anyway). Water repellent coatings applied to the surface of Gore-Hoax and other waterproof breathable garments do help the breathablity of the garment by maintaining a higher vapor pressure differential between you and the outside environment. In the case of your pack, the outer fabric may become saturated but the wetness should not penetrate appreciably.

I carry a small piece of plastic in my pocket to lay my pack on when I'm stationary - that way the pack stays clean and dry. Just fold up the plastic wet side in and you're good to go.

Both the sternum strap and the waist strap help take the weight off your shoulders, where you notice it, and put it onto your waist and legs, where you won't notice it as much. I sometimes carry up to 50 pounds of gear in my Nature Trekker, and you'd best believe that the straps help.<P>What's so confusing about the straps anyway? You put your arms in, you buckle two straps. This is not usually a process that confuses people. Think of it as a sort of seat belt if it helps you to cope.<P>As for Scotchguarding -- it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

"Confusing" was probably the wrong word, but all those straps struck me as overkill and maybe clumsy to have flapping around in the field. My waist strap would only take weight off my shoulders if I grew a big potbelly cuz it comes around way above my hips. I like the back padding, and I wish the shoulder straps were thick as well cuz I think that's where the weight's gonna be. It's definitely gonna be more comfy (and roomy) than my shoulder bag was, though.

It appears to me that someone is missing the proper approach to adjusting backpack straps. I use a Mini-Trekker, and I am over 6 ft. The harness isn't the best (not up to Pro Trekker AW standards), but it does work properly.

The first thing to do is loosen everything up, then adjust the waistbelt to fit properly on your waist. Then pull the shoulder straps tight to pull the load in towards your back. DO NOT tighten them so much as to take any actual load.

The sternum strap really needs something to hold it up higher - but when you want it, you should slide both sides up as far as you like for comfort. I have tried various means to hold it where I want it, and haven't found a really satisfactory solution short of needle and thread.

Hi John,

Perhaps you just need a pack that fits you. Have you considered getting a Pro Trekker? It has a very adjustable harness that will fit almost anyone.

Christian, how on earth do you fit 50 lbs of gear in a Nature Trekker? My wife's is fully loaded and weighs in at under 20 lbs. Even my Pro Trekker, which is jamb packed (including a 600/4), weighs only 40 lbs!

I designed some of the plastic fastener hardware on your sternum strap.* Should I be taking this jettison as a personal affront?

Seriously, now, the fairly heavy waist straps on most packs are to get the blasted load off your shoulders and set it instead upon your hips. Packs for hiking and mountain hopping should be carefully selected to fit to the body of the wearer. Unfortunately, we photo types toss that 'fit' issue to the back of our considerations list when we shop for photo gear, choosing our packs, instead, on the basis of capacity, access, looks, &c.

The physiology of our 'to hell with evolution; I'm walkin' upright, dammit!' stance means we're always trying to contort our spines with shoulder-borne loads hanging way out in space rearward. Ack. The pain!

The work arounds become: Keep the load in tight against the body with Rob Segal's Good-Fer-Ya Sternum Strap Fasteners; Let the load rest on the hips; Don't let the load flex all over hell and back -- make sure it's firmly lashed in all directions; and distribute as much to other parts of the body (small, leg-mounted packs f'rinstance) as possible.

Then, too, the best pack one fellow I knew used was one he stole from his Army unit when he left. He was in (don't they ALL say this?) Special Forces and his pack was truly neat: It didn't touch his back at all, but sat atop his shoulders, behind his head. Not large, but you could turn or run with it at full speed, he told me, and not get thrashed to the ground. (And no back sweat!)

I have yet to see a civilian manufacturer emulate the design -- FOR ANY PURPOSE. ARE YOU LISTENING, LOWE?

Scotchguard (reapplied at regular intervals) is a wonderful thing. Let us know how your chiropractor likes the other modifications.

R/R~

*No kidding! I really DID!

Cutting those straps off is a bit extreme and is burning your bridges. I simply roll them and use a rubber band to hold the rolled up strap when I don't need them e.g. for a short hike. On a long hike with lot's of equipment these straps really help distribute the load and you will wish you had the straps.

The straps I can't abide by are those horrid tripod straps at the bottom. Who ever designed these should be shot (sorry I hope it wasn't the previous poster) because getting a tripod in and out of these straps is an exercise in frustrationn. Has anyone modified there mini trekker to a more efficient tripod carrying system? If so how?

For the record, I now believe after several days of testing that I simply bought the wrong bag for the job. I shoulda bought the Nature Trekker AW since I simply have the Mini-Trekker over-packed (everything fits fine, but it's just too much weight).

Loosening the shoulder straps to lower the bag to make the waist belt work right made the bag hang off my back and was a literal pain in the neck. I notice that the Nature Trekker has (like on my regular backpack), straps to pull the top of the bag toward your back (the Mini lacks this strap).

Incidentally, the bottom straps on the M-T are fine for carrying a jacket or tarp, but I don't think any but the lightest tripod would hold -- and even then, it would swing into your back as you walked. As for side-mounting a tripod on the Nature Trekker, I'll believe it when I do it. I've got a Gitzo 1340 that I don't think will fit, so I'm thinking about a G126 for times when I can't hack the extra weight and bulk, as on longer hikes or motorcycle trips.

I've just bought a mini trekker and have been backpacking with various packs for years.

Even though the waist strap is a waist strap rather than a hip strap like a large hiking pack (can't speak for the larger camers packs) it does take the weight on your hips and off your shoulders and back. I'm 6'3" so if it works for me it should work for anyone. The sternum strap is also good for making sure the shoulder straps donm't slide out.

The bottom tripod (or whatever) straps are a pain. Those slide buckles make getting things in and our a nightmare. I've replaced them with some webbing with strong velcro sewn on. This makes things much easier (but noisier so no good for wildlife photographers). You could also use any of the dozen varieties of buckles they sell at camping shops.

My only other modifications were to make some water bottle holders out of more webbing and velcro that attach to the sides of the pack.

Cheers

Dave

I've just bought a mini trekker and have been backpacking with various packs for years.

Even though the waist strap is a waist strap rather than a hip strap like a large hiking pack (can't speak for the larger camers packs) it does take the weight on your hips and off your shoulders and back. I'm 6'3" so if it works for me it should work for anyone. The sternum strap is also good for making sure the shoulder straps don't slide out.

The bottom tripod (or whatever) straps are a pain. Those slide buckles make getting things in and out a nightmare. I've replaced them with some webbing with strong velcro sewn on. This makes things much easier (but noisier so no good for wildlife photographers). You could also use any of the dozen varieties of buckles they sell at camping shops.

My only other modifications were to make some water bottle holders out of more webbing and velcro that attach to the sides of the pack.

Cheers

Dave

Perhaps I should elaborate on my 50-lb. Nature Trekker load. First of all, my gear is all older manual focus Minolta and Mamiya TLR, so minimal plastic -- it's mostly metal and glass. Second, I make good use of the accessory straps. I have the accessory daypack attached to the front and a smaller accessory bag on the side; they keep film, filters, food, guidebooks, whatever. I have a Lowepro lens case for my 300mm f/4.5 lens strapped to the outside as well, as it won't fit on the inside. I also either mount my Bogen 3021 with 3047 head on the bag itself or sling it over my shoulder and around my neck. Finally, I've lashed on a Camelbak canteen to the outside of the pack which carries 70 oz. of water. It all adds up to around 50 lbs. fully loaded. I usually never need it all, but it's a great workout.

Anybody wanna buy a Mini-Trekker? ;) Straps, shmaps... I bought the Nature Trekker AW and it's working out fine. I've been out in the rain with it, and I even took a tumble and roll over some sharps wet rocks with it on my back. Everything stayed dry and unbroken, including my back, and it's much more comfortable than the M-T given the weight of my gear. I'd be interested to hear where people keep their film in these things, though.