Well,

I know there has been a bit of interest from others about the new GX

films and I have just got some back in 35mm. The subjects were some

grey steps under overcast lighting and the rest were of waterfalls in

mixed sunny lighting. On first observations with a low-grade home made

light box I can say without a doubt, outstanding. I had heard from

some that this film might be more of an 80 than 100 so I had the lab

push it a third to see whats up. It didn't seem that rating it 100 was

off base and I feel that this film will be a 100 rate for me in future.

As to the grain, I couldn't detect any at all, except maybe where the

white cotton waterfalls might have been. So this might say something

about the whites but I feel that this was more to do with the blurring

of the water than anything else at this point. The bias is definately

warm as I noticed a shot that included sky with a polariser there was

a slightly noticeable magenta cast to the clouds. I only shot one

image that had full blown sky and this is what I found based on one

image, so at this point the jury is out on that one. I would have

thought that white water would have been treated the same way as white

clouds, and this wasn't the case with the waterfalls.

The film is sharp, beautifully so, and even the lab guy commented on

it. It was the first roll he had run of the stuff and the first I had

shot so we were both curious to see what was what. Everything else in

the palette of this film is right on as far as I can see, the greens

are gorgeous and the browns are nutty. From what I call tell this film

is a neutral film with a warm bias, extremely sharp with fine grain.

The whites are clean as stated in the specs and I just bought three

bricks of the stuff in 120. Time for some more testing, but I am very

happy with the look of this film overall at this early stage. I don't

have any scans just yet but I'll post back at this thread when I do.

Something I forgot to add, as I have been going over the images again, is that the shadow detail of this film is superb, way better than VS in that dpt. The same subjects with VS would be all but lost in blocked up blacks. The more I study the trannies the more I am impressed.

No, I rated it at 100 but got the lab to pull it a third of a stop, I felt vindicated when I got my results back and feel this to be a true 100 not an 80, is that better?

Thankyou Steve and Hiflex

Geez,

One slip of the tongue and people think it's time to run you through Photo 101 again. I usually rate Velvia 40 and the lab runs it straight, I usually rate all other E100's at their standard rating and have always been happy with that. I have pushed 50 to 100 and didn't mind the results so much but won't make a habit of it. Now we have established I might know my ar*e from my elbow, Steve, would you like to discuss the film?

*Yawn*

Cheers Jonathan!

"I am very interested in finding out how you would compair the color rendition of E100GX to E100SW or E100S."

I'll certainly do so after I shoot some 120, I shot 100S in 120 mostly and although it might sound strange I would prefer to compare 120 to 120 rather than 120 to 35mm. I have two rolls of S in the fridge, so what I might do is try and shoot the same subjects and see what happens. Problem right now is that I bought bricks of GX and not G. From what I have been led to believe so far, and what I have observed, you are getting the same films in G-S and GX-SW only sharper, finer grain, brighter whites and a smoother tonal range. Looking at what I shot so far it's just like the specs for the film have been reported. I don't think you'd be dissapointed, better still buy a roll and shoot your usual subjects, maybe something you've shot with S before and compare. I only say this because my eye for colour may well be different to your own.

Best, Simon

------------------

Steve, oh dear

"I have never heard of a lab that can prolong or shorten processing times in less than whole F stop increments??"

Then you need to get out more...

-------------------

Ken,

"I've never heard of one that couldn't...."

Thankyou! Regards, Simon

Ok I just shot some 120-GX today in similar circumstances to the 35mm so we shall see in a couple of days what the score is. I nearly broke my neck, by the way, sliding down the face of a waterfall trying to get to the bottom, missing going straight off the edge into the pool below. I had the whole Rb kit on my back plus tripod and my shoes might as well have been made of ice for all the grip they gave me. I wound up sliding right to the edge just before the whole shebang went off into the water below. I got 4 shots out of this location before I had to scale back up the face of the waterfall with everything on my back again. Never has one man dug his fingers so hard into insignificant nooks in slimy rocks. The other 6 shots were taken in far friendlier and less treacherous surrounds.

While I am at it, whats the most dangerous position you have put yourself in, in order to get a photograph, and did it turn out/was it worth it?

For what it's worth, I shot a test roll of E100G last week in 35mm and am about to drop off another roll at the lab today.

Initial results are *very* encouraging. Beautiful tonalities, almost no grain. Lovely skin tones.

Given the wholesale shift to digital already underway, I wish we'd had this film years ago...