Canon EOS30 recommendations

lior_deckel1

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, I hope this question went to the right place.

I am curently browsing some stores and I wish to buy a new camera. I

have been looking into the Nikon F80 and the Canon EOS30.

I would like it if you can tell me from your knowledge/experience

what are the benefits of these 2 models. Which is actually better?

Which offes more and gives a good money to product ratio?

Considering me as a serious amateur in photography, which model would

you recommend?

Thank-you,

LIOR

It's the same old question - "which camera body should I buy ?" - and the same old answer. It's not the specific body which counts or the specific features it contains, it's "Which system is better for YOU ?". Changing a system is a very costly move so I advise you to this check well. I believe that for most amateur photographers, every system will do. However, if you are really want to make this a serious hobby than Canon and Nikon have the largest selection of lenses and accessories. In addition, every third party manufacture makes a version for Canon and Nikon to every item he makes.

Now, Canon or Nikon ?

In addition to what's written in http://photonotes.org/articles/why-canon, http://www.photo.net/equipment/35mm/canon-v-nikon and http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html (click on CANON vs. NIKON ? WHAT ABOUT MINOLTA ? AND PENTAX ?) I'd say that there is one major reason to prefer Canon over Nikon. When Nikon releases a new line of lenses, some of their features are not fully compatible with older bodies e.g. you have no light-meter readout or VR does not work. And "older" can be just 3-5 years old. See http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/bodylens.htm and http://www.nikonlist.com/lens.htm for details. Useful even though VR and DX lenses are not listed. This can be VERY annoying and completely not understandable to anybody living in EOS land. Here, things are much more simple. Any EOS camera is fully compatible with any EF lens, period. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say something silly like "Canon is better from Nikon". I only say that life can be much easier in EOS land.

There are some minor reasons as well. For example, Canon's USM is much more abundant than Nikon's AF-S and generally cost less. Canon's IS is much more abundant than Nikon's VR. While optical quality is about the same, an advanced technology can be a very nice and handy thing. A note, to me they are the minor ones but for others consider them as major issues. It's what's right to YOU.

And if you do not want to ever mount an MF lens on your AF body, Canon have a larger selection of AF lenses. For landscape and buildings (straight ones, that is) you can't beat the 24/3.5 TS-E L. Some Nikon users bought an EOS body just to be able to use this lens. Others did so in order to get IS on their longest primes (e.g. 300/2.8 and 600/4).

MLU (Mirror lock up) is very handy feature for tripod shots. It is very rare in Nikon's AF bodies (I think that only the F5 has it) while is abounded in the EOS line.

Another unique feature of the Canon system is DEP mode. DEP mode allows you to designate near-far points of focus and the camera sets depth of field between those two points. In DEP mode, you merely focus on the nearest point you want sharp, then you focus on the farthest point you want sharp, then you re-compose your picture and the camera sets aperture, shutter, and focus to achieve the depth of field you designated.

Combine all the above with the fact that Canon's prices are the same as or less then Nikon's and you begin to understand the EOS dominance in recent years.

Remember that after you buy the body you invest large sums of money in lenses, flash etc. Thus, swapping a system is a very costly move so I advise you to first look carefully into the pros and cons of each system and then - and only then - choose the system which best suites your needs. From now on, choosing the right body is much easier.

Remember, tough, that no system is perfect. Yes, although I am an EOS user and fan, I do not think it is perfect (e.g. http://www.behrens-home.de/photo/eoslimit.html). I think it is the best one for me. Each system has its pros and cons and you have to decide which is more suitable to you. Here are a few examples.

1. Canon and Nikon have the largest selection of accessories. Does that mean that you will not be happy with Pentax or Minolta ? Of course not. They have enough to make almost any amateur happy.

2. Canon's AF is considered to be superior to any other brand. This means a lot to the professional photographer but what does it mean to the average armature ? Just another thing to consider.

3. Nikon's flash metering is considered to be superior to Canon's. So what ? Take a look at any flash photo and try to guess which body did the photographer used. Any success ? No ? Why am I not surprised ? Because a good picture relates heavily on the photographer side. It's not what you have, it's how well you know its pros and cons. How and when to exploit the formers, how and when to override the latters and in what way. When to switch metering modes, when to bounce the flash, when to use a different focal length for a different perspective etc. I think you got the point.

Whatever you choose, shoot a lot and be happy.

Regards ,

Yakim.

BTW, both bodies are very good. Choose the right system and any of them will give you many satisfactory moments and pictures.

PS. You do realize that you are asking this in an EOS forum, do you ? You won't find many people here that will advise you to go with Nikon :-)

The Nikon offers a spot meter; the Canon has mirror lock up ability. Other than that, the cameras are very similar (although the Canon has eye controlled focus, which you may or may not find useful). Both companies offer extensive lens lines and although Canon has an edge in the number of lenses it offers with image stabilization, Nikon is introducing more of their vibration reduction models.

Best bet is to go to your local store and get the feel for both cameras and decide which one feels best for you.

I think there is one fact about the Canon EOS system that is the basis for its superiority and about which you may not be aware. When Canon introduced the EOS system of autofocus SLRs, they decided to start with a clean slate.

Therefore, they decided on an all-electronic lens/camera interface with focusing motors and electronics in each lens along with a new large bayonet mount. This obsoleted the FD system and upset some users.

Nikon, on the other hand, decided it was more important to maintain the same lens mount and copied the Minolta design with the focusing motor in the camera body and a continuation of mechanical interfaces. Since then they have continually made band-aid changes in order to stay competitive with Canon. They have introduced lenses with internal focusing motors and a couple of VR (Vibration Reduction) lenses which are their version of Canon's IS (Image Stabilization). Nikon seems to have trouble introducing new lenses and cameras with new technology and getting those products to market.

Canon, on the other hand, is continually introducing new lenses and especially new digital cameras without obsoleting the EOS system and getting those products to market. Canon is clearly leading and Nikon is attempting to follow. The one area where Nikon had a reputation for superiority was their flash system. Now Canon has caught up and maybe surpassed Nikon with the Canon E-TTL system.

I hope this information helps in your decision process.

Hi

One of the advantages of the Nikon system is the ability to use most of their older manual focus lenses. They are a good option if you have a restricted budget and access to a good source of used lenses. They had very good glass long time ago and some are very available (and cheap) on the second hand market. I did consider Canon vs Nikon when I replaced my old Minolta kit. I debated the two systems based on their lenses and accessories. What prompted my final decision was the fact that I found a used EOS 630 with a used 100-300 5.6L and a used 28-70 3.5-4.5II, all in awesome shape. Only much later, I did replace my 630 for a EOS3 and faster lenses.

Keeping the above in mind, I think that the Nikon F80 will not interact well with much older manual Nikon lenses. My preferred body would have been a F90s. I am not sure about which flash technology the N90s uses (3D or not) but I traded my old 630 because it could not do E-TLL.

It is a very difficult decision to make because to change your mind will cost you a lot! Make sure that you like the interface (buttons and switches) of your camera of choice. Try to rent one of each (or join your local camera club) so you can try more than a few seconds in a store.

Last word: photography is a hobby where it is easy to fall into hardware envy. Upgrade your kit only when you have run out of its capability to fulfill your needs, not your ego!

Good Luck

"Make sure that you like the interface (buttons and switches) of your camera of choice".

Above is probably the most important of all the advice given. These are 2 great companies with great lenses and great cameras, and you won't be unhappy with either choice.

I have been a Canon man and when my daughter was looking for an SLR we looked at the EOS 7 and Nikon N-80. When reading about them, she was heavily leaning towards the Canon, but after renting one of each for a weekend, chose the Nikon. It just felt better to her, in size and controls. I still like my Canon better, but wish I had her eye for composition...still the most important factor in photography.

Its the photographer, not the equipment!

Good luck,

Rich B

For one, from what I have noticed, Canon glass is better than Nikon glass. Another, both Cameras are the consumer level cameras for these manufacturers. The Elan7 is a pretty good camera for the money, I have not used the Nikon, so I couldn't tell you. I will say this much, you get what you pay for. I would go for a used EOS3 personally, maybe a 1N. They are extermely durable heavy cameras which focus wicked fast and accurately, and will stand up to a beating if need be and still function. They will also give you serious control over your image. If you are a seriouss ametuer then get a serious camera that you wont get bored with or frustated with because it doesn't deliver something you need when you are in the zone.

I have an Elan7 and it is an alright camera. Soemtimes I wish they would have done more with it. The same goes for the Nikon N80. I also know that in Canon land, you don't have to worry about incompatibilty issues with lenses. All EOS lenses will work with all EOS cameras. Not so with Nikon.

I do however doubt both the N80 or the eLan7 would last long on my shoulder as I moved through crowds, or was creeping though the woods. I do know the 1N or the EOS 3 would. For that matter I also know theNikon F100 would and ofcourse the F5 would. I have a collegue at school who has the F100 and it is a pretty nice camera, I was impressed. I wouldn't sell my Canon gear to convert, but if needed to borrow it I know it would do all I asked of it.

If you go through some of my answers in the last few days pertaining to the Elan7 yuo might discover that I have a love/hate relationship with th eElan7. I like its small size, silent operation and lightweight. But it is increasingly stopping there. I would recommend it to a beginner, or someone who would only put it to light use. For a serious ametuer I would have to say invest in a nicer camera and then collect some glass to match the awesome body!