Minimum focus distance

alain_hogue

Alain,

The MFD varies with the amount of extension you add, but with a 500-600, you might reduce it 2-3 feet. Be aware, you lose light and may lose AF depending on the brand of extender(s) used. Also, DOF is reduced, so use fast film.

I'm not sure what extension tubes Nikon has, but when I use an EF25mm tube on my Canon 400 5.6L, I change the MFD from 11.6 ft to 5.8 ft. One-half the distance. I just bought the 600 f4 IS with a MFD of 18 ft and I expect that to be 9 ft with the EF25mm tube. How can you say that it will only decrease it by 2 or 3 feet? This wouldn't be worth the light loss that you mentioned and lack of autofocus (which you still get with Canon). Take the lens into a dealer and try different tubes and check the MFD so you are sure.

Kelly - I frequently use both a 25mm and 12mm extension tube on my EF 600/4. If you use atelextender in addition to the extension tube, remember that the telextender mounts to the lens, the extension tubes to the telextender, then the camera on the end of all that.

Also, folks, read your camera manual when using an extension tube, you may lose certain metering modes. For instance, my EOS1 and 1N lose their spot metering mode (but retain all others, including the partial mode).

Kelly, the poster was saying that you get an additional 2 or 3 feet of additional MFD - not focusing down to 2 or 3 ft.!

<P>

As Don says, with Canon EF lenses, it's best to put the tube between the camera and teleconverter to maintain AF capability, but with manual Nikkors, it's best to put them between the lens and teleconverter since less extension will give better MFD. i.e. it takes less extension to get a 600mm lens down to, let's say, 15 ft. than it does for a 840mm lens.

<P>

In any case, there are no probems using an extension tube to get you close up for photographing from a blind with a 600mm lens.

<P>

<P>

<I>In other words

<UL>

<LI>

For Canon EF: lens, TC, extension tube, camera body

<LI>

For manual Nikon: lens, extension tube, TC, camera body

</UL>

-- Shun Cheung

</I>

• 2 months later...
Well it is often stated that TCs leave MFD unchanged but it is nevertheless NOT true (at least not with Nikon TCs, I belive others behave similarly). You can easilly exemplify this by setting your tele on a tripod focused on something really close by (like the MFD). When you now add a TC the subject will still be in focus BUT your film plane will be farther away - by excactly one (1) TC length! This is not much but still significant at close range. The TC has worsened (extended) the MFD by one TC length. Best regards,