Canon 10D

focal plane

Well, I have to say there's been a lot of hype around the new 10D.

After reading what the net has to offer on the preveiw of the 10D,

this may be my first digital SLR. I've been looking to move away from

film and into the digital arena and this seems like the perfect

opportunity to do so. I'm curious if others feel the same way and are

willing to take the "leap of faith" and move to digital.

P.S. I'm still keeping my backup Elan ;-)

The 10D sounds like a gerat deal. I know a couple of photographers who have used the D60 with great success, and they payed full price for their cameras. The 10D looks to be improved and cheaper! If I was in the market for a digital SLR, this one would definitely be the top contender. Unless the 1Ds drops drastically in price, there probably won't be a better, more affordable digital SLR this year.

When the D30 came out, I thought, "Gee. It looks to be a lot more fun than my friend's digital camera with the fixed lens." But I never gave a second thought to buying one as I'd just purchased my first SLR film camera a few months earlier and was still trying to figure it out. <still am!>

<P>Later, I became enamoured with instant shoot, look, adjust capabilities the photogs at work were able to do with their recently purchased Nikon D1 cameras. And when the D60 came out, I thought, "Wow. I'd really like to have one of those but there's no way I could justify spending that kind of money." I promised myself that I'd give serious thought to a digital SLR when they dropped to $1,200.

<p>This year, with the positive pre-release reviews of the 10D and the $1,500 street price, I decided that it was a good time to jump into the digital arena. As an amateur photographer, I think the 10D will save me money in the long run.

<p>I've already spent a small fortune on books, tapes, film, developing as I try to learn the wonderful art and craft of photography. But what I really need to do is shoot more and understand the correlation between what I'm doing and what I'm getting in the frame. The digital will give me instant feedback, making it easier to see and understand how the camera reacts to shutter speeds, aperture and lighting changes.

<P>Even though I'm going digital, I have no intention of giving up my film camera. I've heard people say that once you go digital, you never go back to film. I hope this isn't true in my case.

<p>It's a sad and exciting time in photography history. The digital SLR is to 35mm cameras as emulsion film was to glass plates and what the Model A Ford was to the carriage and the steam engine was to the wagon train.

"<i>I'm curious if others feel the same way and are willing to take the "leap of faith" and move to digital.</i>"

<p>

I don't tend to like taking leaps with so much uncertainty. With delivery dates being pushed and not a lot of user reviews, I'm willing to wait a few months to see what happens. It's likely that the 10D will be my first DSLR as well, but who knows? A 1D replacement might push the 1D into an affordable price range (for me). Besides, I still have a bunch of rolls of film in my fridge I've got to use up....

"I've heard people say that once you go digital, you never go back to film".

In my case, I use both. I'm too old to give up film, but digital is here to stay. In a few years, when sensors become larger and at about 20 megs, film as we know it, may be on it's way out.

"Still no spotmeter (and digitals really need spotmeters) so useless outside of the studio for me."

Why do digital cameras need spot meters? For white balance? From one I've seen, most digital photographers recommend adjusting the exposure by using the histogram.

Buy a 10D now and you'll probably have at least 12 months where it's the "leader of the consumer DSLR" pack. Buy it 12 months from now and you'll be in the position of someone who paid $2200 for a D60 last month!

I don't expect to see full frame low cost DSLRs for several years. My best guess on the next Canon DSLR is a digital EOS-3 selling for around $2500, It's a 50/50 chance whether it will be full frame or 1.3x like the D1. Right now my guess would be a 1.3x sensor, but in CMOS, not CCD. Time frame? I'd guess 6-12 months.

I, being quite fresh and new in the world of SLR photography, still can't afford any digital cameras. Digital point and shoots cost more than my film SLR body (I can afford a Sony F717... if I sell my film camera AND all my lenses AND my tripod and bags and scanner etc --> I'm not going to do this!). For aspiring photographers like me, DSLRs are still quite out of reach (even with the attractive 10D). Especially at my age, students like me would more likely spend that money on a new computer for school rather than a new toy for a hobby (unless I was hardcore into it in school - but even then, too expensive for a university student tied up with tuition costs)

I've made my "jump" with buying an SLR camera in the first place. I feel a new sense of inspiration and spirit inside me that makes me want to get out there and make ART! When I was young, I drew... not with a digital pencil, just a regular wooden pencil. That made me happy. Then came colour pencils. Then paint (but I sucked at this). BUT, a big step, computer graphics and design. I've added other forms of art to my plate as well... vocal, dance, instrumental, and now, back to something more visual again: photography!

I'll be sticking with film for a while. Rolls and developing, however, do add up but the one time price of a digital SLR is still too intimidating even if you were to say to yourself "It'll pay itself off in a year" - or in my case, a couple years.

I do hope, however, to own a DSLR in the future. I find that I mostly enjoy my pictures when viewing them in my computer. To share with the rest of the world, I scan my prints. It'll save a lot of money and space to have them all on my comp and just print the ones I feel are worthy. We'll see what happens!

Have fun with your 10D!!! I hope Canon comes out with a DSLR that will better capture the ultimate 24x35mm dimension that our lenses are supposed to get rather than cutting off so much of the image. Does anyone know if the 1Ds does this? I want one of these after graduating - 4 to 5 more yrs =p.

I have one on order as an upgrade for my D30. The D30 is already an excellent camera, I am sure the 10D will be superb as well.<P>

<I>I've heard people say that once you go digital, you never go back to film.</I><P>

I used to think so, but I now shoot more often with my Leica M6 and Nikon FM3A than with my D30, and I actually bought those cameras after my D30. That said, I also believe color film to be obsolete, and now shoot mostly black and white when using film. Unlike color, B&W is archival and offers a good hedge against technological obsolescence or the <A HREF="http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0227.html?m%3D10">Digital Dark Ages</A>.

I think a lot of people already have the infrastructure needed to support digital. If you're here, you have a PC. The camera comes with all required software. Most people have a printer and even if you don't you can get a very decent photo quality printer for under $200. Apart from a CF card (say $50 for 128MB) that's all you need.

"I've heard people say that once you go digital, you never go back to film".

Heh, I'm the opposite. I went through three consumer-level digital cameras (the latest of which is fully-manual-controllable Olympus C-4000Z--4mp and 3x optical zoom), and found that these didn't really satisfy my photography needs and desires. So, I recently bought my first film SLR--a Canon Rebel Ti--and a couple of lenses. I'm having a blast with it. Sure a digital SLR would have been nice, but there's no way I can justify spending $1,500-2000 for a DSLR body right now. And it's not that I'm forsaking the digital camera arena--I plan on using both digital and film.

I should note that if it weren't for the fact that I eventually hope to get a DSLR, and the fact that the Canon lenses and flashes are interchangeable for film SLRs and DSLRs, I probably wouldn't have made the purchase (of film SLR).

The responsiveness of the Rebel Ti is pretty amazing to me, as is the focus speed. It makes my C-4000Z feel like a fancy toy. The latter is great for snapshots and casual use, though.

I have ordered the 10D. Have decided to keep two film bodies and sell two more.

I was tempted to wait for the 3D that Bob describes but it is not clear when this

will be released.

We are planning to spend about three weeks in China this fall to adopt a baby girl.

As I will be packing a lot of things I am not used to (e.g., diapers) I thought that it

would be nice not to have to bring 80-100 rolls of film. But, if I am going to go

filmless, I have lot to learn about microdrives, digital wallets, not to mention the latitude and capability of the camera.

If I am too disappointed, I will still have the two film bodies I can take.

Hoping for the best though...

Well, I also lust after a DSLR.

But there definately will be costs associated with a 10D beyond the body -> unless you already have "stuff" from D30/D60.

Example:

The 10D has the 1.6 focal multiplier. This means I will lose wide angle reach and will probably need to buy a 24mm F2.8 ($280) to compensate.

I have a compact flash card I use with a Canon S40, but a 6mp camera will be "hungrier" for memory, so I would need a big memory card (256mb for $75, or 512mb for $150)(sorry, 128mb won't cut it for this type of camera, IMHO)

My current flash unit does not support E-TTL. Gah! Need 550EX ($330) . . . etc

All in all, I am thinking to upgrade the lenses on my film SLR and wait for awhile.

I'm content to keep waiting. I've been an EOS user for a long time - I bought a

650 when it was the current camera. Along the way I've had a 10 and a 3,

both bought new.

Currently I still have the 650, which I've kept for sentimental reasons. (I used

to tell myself that it was for back-up, but I haven't actually put any film through

it for several years.) I also have a 600 (630 in N America) - significantly faster

AF then 650, but the same form factor which I really like - and a 100 (Elan in

USA?). The last two were bought in the last couple of years, s/hand, for not

much money at all! I got the 100, with a 50mm 1.8, for 140 GB pounds. That's

my main body, but if I'm going out hill-walking or something like that I'll take

the 600 as it's tougher.

If I need digital I'll borrow my wife's Nikon CP 4300, which I'm very impressed

with. I'm waiting for a full-frame EOS digital SLR to reach the same price as

my s/hand 100! How long do you reckon, Bob?

I'm just an amateur, so it's hard to justify the money for a 10D even to myself.

The 17-40 lens might be a different story, however....

I know that there are other associated costs with the 10D, but any foray into DSLR is going to have that cost. Bob talks about a better camera coming out but I could point to the same fact about film SLR. I know as soon as I buy a 10D something better is going to hit the market but the question I should ask myself is, "does the 10D do everything I want?". For the most part I'd expect to say yes.

The reason I like the 10D is the fact that there were some enhancements from the D60 and it is in a good, entry level price range (some of you will argue it is still too high, I know). I do hope to see the equivilant of the EOS3 in digital but that may be a year off or maybe in the next six months, who knows.

Once the 10D hits the market we'll probably see a review of it on photo.net, I plan on adding my own opinion. Hopefully it won't be too far off of my expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my 10D ordered (by the way, anyone know any places that have them in stock right now?).. anyway, I"m extremely excited that I"m going into the DSLR.

I used to be quite the photgrapher about 15 years ago (Canon AE-1 and all), along with a darkroom, etc. - but gave it up when I went to college and then afterwards, just never got back to it. Now, I'm looking to unlock my creative side again... so I'm extremely excited with the D10 coming soon - and reawakening my urges ;)

Anyway, my next set of questions, will be around the best digital printer..

FJ Sarmiento... to answer you question since i didnt see a responce.. yes, the 1Ds does have a full 35mm size chip, so your 24mm lens for example, is still a 24mm lens...

as for the 10D I just got mine yesterday.. I bought a D30 in may or so of last year and loved it. It basicly did everything I wanted.. though some things, not that well.. I wanted more mp, larger than 3, and I hate the AF system in the D30.. its no secret that it didnt work all that well.. and that the D60 wasn't much of an improvement in that respect... Working at a camera shop, I knew the rumors the same as everyone else, and tried to decide if i might want what ever was the next one. I knew PMA would answer my question.. so... after checking canons site every day for a couple weeks, the 10D finaly showed up.. the specs looked good.. still 6mp, as the D60, but a welcomed increase from my D30... BUT... how does the AF work.... It said that it was based off of the Elan 7.. haveing sold this camera quite a few times, i had had the benefit of using it and knew it worked very well.. so, I took the plunge.. besides.. I decided if it was $2000 I would go for it... I called Adorama, asked when they were taking orders, they said I could be 50th on the list if i wanted.. I said how much, they said $1,500, I said sold.... I asked when they thought they might get them.. they laughed at me.. I said I just hope its quicker than the D60 took and they agreed...

well, low and behold, 17 days later, I come home from lunch, and there's a nifty adorama box on my doorstep!

now for the test.. just how well does it auto focus? Well, I haven't made it fail yet... It seems to respond as well as the Elan 7, and also, it seems to match my EOS 1n film body as well..

Yes.. I'm happy!

Now what am I doing at this computer when I could be out using the thing!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Canon D60 shortly after it came out and through a fluke, ended up with one well before I should have given the waiting list. I have never been happier with a camera. I even sold my Canon A2E. The pictures it takes are awesome. I've shot several weddings now and all told about 10,000 pics through the camera so far with no problems at all.

The price was a little bit hard to swallow, but only until I actually started using the camera. Now I believe it is worth every penny. The 10D has some significant improvements over the D60 and I am giving serious consideration to upgrading to the 10D.

BTW, I would highly recommend going to Costco to get the pictures printed. 4x6 pictures are only .19 and I regularly get prints done at 10X15 for 2.99 and they look awesome!

Wow. Interesting thread.

Few points:

1) DSLR's, unlike film SLR's, have a life cycle of about a year. The next model will be cheaper and better. That is a fact. The Elan-7 and 3 will be around for YEARS.

2) DSLR's are an EXPENSIVE way to go digital, even if you have a full blown Elan-7. As Bob said, the *minimum* "entry" cost is $1500+$100 for camera and memory cards. This assumes you have an appropriate set of flash units, camera bags, and lenses. If you don't have film SLR gear, then add $500 to your cost to get a reasonable start.

3) DSLR's are digital cameras. People relate to digital cameras WAY DIFFERENT than to film.

a)Many more "trash photos" that need to be pruned.

b)Higher tendency to "photoshop" your quality output (remove annoying details, crop, adjust color balance etc). If you don't do darkrooms now, then you are in for a surprise at how much work is needed outside the camera!

c) No photo albums: Everything will be pretty much on your computer. Do you like computers? If you don't: DON'T GO DIGITAL!

A digital P&S is a much cheaper way to see if you will like the digital hobby ($300 vs $1500++++)

So having said all that: I have a 10D. I actually postponed upgrading my film SLR for a few years before buying. In the mean time, I was getting my feed wet with digital P&S cameras. I think the 10D will be MUCH easier to get than the D60 was. But don't wait too long. The next model can't be more than a year away. . . .

• 3 weeks later...

I sold a comprehensive Nikon system to purchase the 10D and a few lenses (and put the rest of the money from the Nikon equipment in the bank). I had (all Nikon) D1, F100, FA, 80-200, 20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 28-105, 28-70, 24-85G AF-S, etc. etc.

I have not looked back. Though the body is not as rugged or quite as fast as the D1, with minor adjustments to technic it works remarkably well, and is light. I purchased an EF 24-85, EF70-200 f4 and 100 macro (all USM) as well as the 550 flash. This is a great system for the price, and produces excellent images, as well as being small and light weight (compared to the Nikon system).