mo_kenny

I am travelling to Iowa city this weekend, can anybody give location

ideas good for large format photography ? (Landscape and found still

life.)

Also while on the subject, are there some LF photographers around

the same place to share ideas with ?. I will be relocating to Iowa

city in June.

Mo Kenny

There's lots of nice stuff around here. The Mississippi valley is great, although a bit of a drive. Around Iowa City, the areas around Coralville lake and Lake McBride offer lots, as does the general countryside. Give me a holler off-list (dhananjay-nayakankuppam@uiowa.edu) if you would like to hook up or need more info on anything. Cheers, DJ

I guess it depends what you want to photograph. In Iowa City there are lots of street scene opportunities around the downtown. The old capital area has some interesting scenes. Get out of town a ways and there's lots of rural scenery. Just east of town on US Hwy 6 there is old cemetary with many casulaties from the Civil War. It's about 5 miles east, south west corner of an intersection. In the area south of Iowa City there are lots of small towns that have sort of died on the vine since the rail lines were abandoned. A few old train stations, bridges, grain elevators and crumbling downtowns. What else do you want to see it Iowa?

Iowa City is my 'second home town'. It was there, on the SUI staff when I won the national photographer of the year, and the Don Christiansen Memorial Award for picture of the year (IPPA). Contact me off list and I will give you some thoughts...and there ae many. Iowas City is GREAT. Richard Boulware - Denver. www.boulware-den@att.net.

I was born in Iowa City and grew up not far from there in the Quad CIties (about 45 minute drive east). I would recommend the Mississippi RIver Valley region from Muscatine up to the Quad Cities (DAvenport, Bettendorf, Rock Island, etc...) SOme interesting river scenery in that area. THere are strong images to be made in Iowa, but you have to look harder for them. Once the corn gets about knee high (late June early July), there are some outstanding "Cornfield Vistas" to be made. THe other option is to simply drive the backroads and see what you come across. Lot's of abandonded farm houses, barns, etc... Amana Colonies is another option - it's not far from Iowa City either.

Good luck!