Full frame non EOS 1 Ds body soon ?

sandy.

I have searched the archive, and I could not find my answer. Maybe I

am not frequenting this forum enough....

I really really like and want to buy the EOS 1Ds because of its full

frame CMOS, but the sheer size and bulk of the camera just make me

don't know what to do. Coming from the Leica M world where everything

is small, or even comapare with my EOS 2A, the 1 Ds is really hugh.

What should I do ? Is there any words out about a D60 size FULL FRAME

body yet ? I know the D40 and D80 is also 2/3" size.

Thanks for any useful information.

While I don't have the EOS 1Ds, I do have and use both the EOS 1V HS, which I understand is similar in size to the 1Ds, and an M7 with Motor M. With the 85/1.8 on the Canon and the 75/1.4 summilux on the M7 w/Motor, I don't find much weight difference or problem in handling the Canon particularly given the exceptional balance of Canon lenses. Thus, if the 1Ds is, in fact, anywhere similar in size to the 1V HS, I wouldn't be concerned.

Jack, as you well know, the attraction for the M is compactness. I have never used a Leica motordrive because I think it is too bulky and very clumsy. I love the Canon lenses for their silient focusing and optical quality. However, I still think there is a substantial weight difference between the D60 and the 1Ds. Your opinion ?

NK Guy, if the D40 and D80 are not reality, have you heard anything else through the grapevine? May be a little bird has told you something?

I already have the EOS 2A and a Sony DSC-F717. Should I go buy a D60 for stop gap measure, so that I can use my Canon lenses on the D60? Or simply just wait ? I also know that new D60 are also non-existing.

Jack, I read with interest your postings on the Leica Forum concerning your move away from the M. While the M has its place, the AF and low light capabilities of my EOS 1V are unsurpassed. Unfortunately, it's just not very quiet ... but you will get the image.

Sandy, I'd rather wait, unless you have some dire need to jump the gun into the DSLR world. Also, I wouldn't put my money on rumors, because in the end they're just "rumors", things change a lot in the world of digital, so as I said unless you have a dire need I would wait.

Mr. Clarke, you are sooo right. 10D it is. I will start checking with my local camera store tomorrow. Any good recommendation ? Thank you very much for the wake up call. Meanwhile, I will still be waiting patiently for a lightweight fullframe to come on the market. One day...one day....

I wonder how many of us out there, like Jack Flesher and now me, are quietly defecting from Leica to Canon digital. This is not Leica bashing because I have not sold off a single piece (of Leica gear). I still like both M and R, but I truly think their time has gone.... just a thought.

Unless you shoot wider than a 20mm on film (which you can do

with a 14mm on a D60 or 10D), does it REALLY matter if it's full

frame?

Consider that the smaller sensor uses the "sweet" central

imaging area of the glass, has telephoto advantages, AND costs

less. Plus, it's available now.

You do not mention your concern for the full frame sensor. Is it a perceived image quality issue? Is it the cropping factor ratio of 1:1.6? I just got home from a Digital Solutions Workshop and Tradeshow. I got to play with the 1DS and the 10D. The 10D had the optional battery pack. It was very nice - not too heavy at all - considering it is SS inside with Mag skins. On display was an identical image - I believe it was a 30x40 - printed from a Hassleblad 5xx (120), Hassleblad H1 with DCS Pro Back, Canon 1D, 1DS, D60 and the new 10D. I prefered all the digital images over the MF Hassy at that print size. I could only tell a very small difference between the 1DS and 10D image in the smallest of details, and I had to really hunt. Remember, I was viewing a 30x40 image at about 9 inches from the print. What I am saying is there is no need to wait. Jump in!

I am jumping in !!! I just have to find a dealer that will not charge me an arm and a leg for a grey market kit. I do not want a grey market anything. From what I can find on the net, the 10D was just released today. Must be hot as hell....

The cool thing about getting a Canon Digital SLR is that if you have Leica-R lenses, you can use them on the Canon's with an adapter.

The 10D is very tempting, the 1D or 1Ds may be too much for me. I mainly would like the digital SLR for special events and conventions where film is not needed since they want CD's anyway.

Sandy: I agree re the M's compactness -- it is THE reason I love the camera. BUT, speaking as a former Leica shooter, IMO you will not be satisfied with the construction of anything less than the 1D / 1Ds Canons, and the 1.6 crop factor of the other models may annoy you more than you realize. (the 1.3x on the 1D is liveable for me.) I am not trying to start a flame war, as I'm sure the 10D is a superb lighter-weight DSLR, but rather want to encourage you to at least handle a 1D or 1Ds before you plunk money down on the other.

Cheers,

Jack, thanks, those are very weighty, important considerations for a (still) M user. I can't jump into the 10D yet because there are long lines ahead of me. May be this would give me time to try out both the 10D and the 1Ds. End of the day, I must say I'd rather have the full frame much more than the 2/3". Thanks again for your wisdom. Sandy

Shutter lag on the 10D is reported as "190ms" though measurement conditions were not stated. The D60 was 240ms.

On the 1D and 1Ds (and EOS-1n and EOS-3) it's also 190ms for a full shutter press (AE but no AF), but 55ms if you 1/2 depress the shutter first. The Elan II is reported as 190/90 rather than 190/55.

My guess is that since the 10D is built on the Elan 7 (or at least seems to be), it may also be a 190/90 camera - but that's just a guess.

These times obviously don't include AF time, which is highly variable.

Jack - with CF4 set like that, you'll get the 190ms shutter lag. That's the time from pushing the shutter to the time that the exposure actually starts. The time is needed for the camera to determine exposure and move the mirror out of the way.